Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm just look for some ideas what this squeak might be. I usually hear it windows down after the jeep has been sitting for a little. I'll drive off and start hearing the squeaks, from the rear half of the jeep. I have a suspicion it maybe the wheel bearings, but could it also be the rear brakes? The sound goes away after a 10 secs or so, Any ideas would be cool!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Does the time between squeaks decrease as you speed up so you are hearing it faster and faster? Could possibly be the rear U joints if that's the case.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Year/model? Discs/Drums?

If it was a u joint it would clunk and in the rear you wouldn't really be able to drive it at all. Squeeking is usually brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've have am 03 sahara tj with rear disc brakes and a 2" lift, the squeaking only happens after its sat for a while. And it happens when I initially drive it for about 10 seconds and it goes away

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
See if you can recreate the squeak by just rocking the tub side to side.

While I have chased several squeaks of the last several years, the tricky one I finally solved (similar to yours) was all I needed to was retorque my trackbar bolts...a bolt was barely loose causing the bushing to squeak. It could also be control arm bushing or a loose body mount.

A rotational squeak (consistent with the tires rolling), can be a bad ujoint or worn brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts