Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me give you some background information. My jeeps isn't my DD so I haven't drove it for a week or so previously to hearing this noise. Also I am locked up front with an aussie.

I jumped into the jeep today for a quick spin and I hear a squeeking noise coming from the front end when I'm turning out of the driveway. Well I did some testing and I managed to replicate the noise under certain circumstances. The noise only happens when I take off turning. For example, if I stop at a stop sign and turn right or left. It never makes the noise when I'm driving fast and turning. Also, I can ever so slightly hear the squeek when I take off in a straight line.

I haven't been able to get under the front end myself yet and check it out. I'm thinking maybe U-joints, but what else could it be? Any other opinions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a similar problem with squeaking mainly while turning. I had to replace a broken sway bar link in the front, but while doing that noticed my u joint was horrible. So replaced the u joints and both sway bar links in the front but with the new u joints no more squeak!

·
Registered
135 Posts
can you hear the squeak when accelerating to 30 mph?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can you hear the squeak when accelerating to 30 mph?
I don't believe so. I still haven't had time to diagnose what it is exactly because I have been so busy with my classes and work. It's not my DD so I don't have to worry about it right at the moment. All though I do have a wheeling trip coming up on the 28th so I need to get to it soon...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So checked the u-joints and there's no play in them. Wheel bearings are good. The power steering fluid is fine.
If I jack up the front end and turn the wheel it makes no noise. If I leave it on the ground and turn the wheel it makes a definite clicking noise. Any other ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts