Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2002 TJ. This is my 4th Jeep (CJ5 3-spd v8, 87 wrangler,91 Cherokee) The jeep seems a bit loose when driving on bumpy and dirt roads/driveways. Mechanic said nothing is wrong and it is normal as it is a JEEP THING to ride like this. None of my other jeeps had a squirelly ride, mostly just a stiff ride. Any suggestions as so what the problem is?

Also, read somewhere (wranglerforum?) that there are such things as seat track extenders that will give a few more inches in leg room for the driver. Does anyone know where I can get them? Husband and daughter are extremely tall.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Is the suspension stock? It almost sounds like you are describing what is known as "bump steer".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it is stock. The PO were an elderly couple that towed it behing their RV. Only has 70k for mileage and most of that was going back and forth to from ME to FL being towed.

I may need to find a Jeep mechanic that is use to dealing with the little oddities that comes with owning a jeep. I am not very handy when it comes to cars of anytype.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link to the seat extensions.

I think the problem that I am having is more related to the rear suspension. The steering does not seem to be affected as much as the rear end being very loose. Wondering if so many years/towing behind an RV has affected the suspension/tracking? The steering seems fine. Once on semi smooth roads I don't feel the looseness in the suspension as I do when driving on rough/dirt roadways.

Since we have a long dirt and not so smooth driveway, this is where I feel it the most. Have not been able to go offroad as of yet, but I am sure that I will have some squishyness in the suspension.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Being 6'7", I took a look at these thinking they might help. I found out that they raise the seat about 1" in the process. For me, that would probably put my head into the roll bar so I haven't tried them. If they are not as tall as me, these brackets just might be the ticket.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can relate to what your saying about the ride. The 05 is my first TJ and ride and drives like what your explaining. My older cj5 and renegades didn't have the coil sping wobble. I'm hoping I can get used to it?????

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Being 6'7", I took a look at these thinking they might help. I found out that they raise the seat about 1" in the process. For me, that would probably put my head into the roll bar so I haven't tried them. If they are not as tall as me, these brackets just might be the ticket.
I have the big boy brackets. They only raise it 1/8" (the thickness of the steel)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the big boy brackets. They only raise it 1/8" (the thickness of the steel)
yea I am pretty sure the Misch BigBoy brackets were re-designed so they sit low and give you something like 4 inches of extra leg room.

As far as the loose feeling you are getting is it possible that you are not used to the feeling of the opposing track bar set up that is found on the TJ's... it gives a kind of rear wiggle feeling like the back end is squishing out to the side over bumps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I expected that it would at least be a better ride then my CJ5 and more like my original wrangler which felt like driving a cadillac after so many years driving the CJ5. The TJ is not my DD. I will be using it more over the winter so I will probably get use to it.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
yea I am pretty sure the Misch BigBoy brackets were re-designed so they sit low and give you something like 4 inches of extra leg room.
Redisigned when? I've had them for 5 years

1 - 11 of 11 Posts