Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my steering stabilizer and I am having a hard time getting the through bolt out. I have removed the castle nut and sprayed PB Blaster, hit it with a hammer, tried to turn the nut on the back side to break any rust. My plans are to try a propane torch and more liquid wrench unless you have any other ideas.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used Xtreme Clean bore solvent that I have for my firearms. Worked GREAT. I pounded on it for an hour with no luck. then after I sprayed that stuff on it it came right off with 2 swings of a rubber mallet. FYI It is really raunchy smelling so don't spray it in the garage. you will regret it... hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today I used a saw to cut the back of the bolt so the shock would come off. Then I drove to the local garage where they quickly got an air gun with what looked like a punch on the end. Two seconds and two dollars later they quickly pushed the bolt out of the hole. No torches or hammers needed just a quick tap of an air tool. I then had my stabilizer mounted in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I used a ball joint fork. Jam the fork in there then wack it with a hammer, it pops right out. I just replaced mine a few days ago. The difference between the 19 year old stabilizer and a brand new one is incredible.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I just replaced mine with a rancho, works great! I had a problem on that to and instead of using a pickle fork like i should have i just hit it till it broke in half.. Hmm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts