Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, and thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Yesterday as I was driving down the road, my jeep for some reason stalled out while in fifth gear. There was no noise or anything, it just all of the sudden shut off, I couldn't roll start it, and it wouldn't start back up once I had pulled over. Another Jeeper stopped as I was pulled over, said it sounded like there was pressure as it turned over. My uncle also stopped and had me flood the engine as I tried to start it, which resulted in some clunking noises as it turned over. I eventually had it towed back to my house as my uncle had assumed that it had thrown a rod. However, a few hours later I I went out and tried to start it again, it started up fine, everything sounded normal for the Jeep. I don't know what caused the clunking noise, but right now im just hoping that it stalled out because there was something in the gas tank. I'm going to get some fuel treatment and a new fuel filter and hope that fixes it, but right now I just don't know whats wrong with it. If any of you have encountered an issue like this, or have some insight as to whats wrong please tell me, I just want to get my jeep back on the road.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I had my crank position sensor go out recently, and sometimes it ran fine, then it would miss every so often, then it wouldn't start. After sitting for a few hours, it would idle but not stay running under a load, then the next day it would run fine. It was frustrating to say the least.
I replaced the CPS and all is well. Good luck

·
Registered
288 Posts
"89 YJ"......Carb right?...In my experience with my '90 I6 the CDI box was always the culprit to dieing issues...by passed that system with a HEI distributor and been happy ever since.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
might want to get a bottle of "drygas". Its a liquid, named dry-gas because it absorbs any condinsation in the gas.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The clunking you heard might have been misfiring after you flooded it. CPS would be a good start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for replying, I just put some gas treatment in today, and replaced the fuel filter. I blew what was left in the old filter into a bottle and it was a bunch of black stuff, so Im hoping it just swallowed a bunch of stuff into the carb. and stalled out. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
IF it made it to the carb, you may need to get in and clean the jets out and the fuel bowl.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update for anyone who stumbles upon this with the same problem, just replaced the small computer (Electronic Control Module?) and it seems to be doing a lot better, also did just an over all tune up. Thanks for all the help and input everyone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
HELP! dies out when making left turns only or going over hills with just driver tires

i am having something similar now, but only with left turns...hope to get it addressed tomorrow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts