Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 TJ that is having a problem. While driving, the engine is stalling, usually it will simply hesitate (what I can best describe as a hiccup), and keeps running after. This stumble occurs at all driving ranges and all conditions...I notice that it occurs frequently after a hard turn. When the engine loses power? the gauges act strange (fuel gauge drops to zero and will stay that way for a few minutes). Other than the intermittent loss of power, the jeep runs well. When shutting off the ignition, the jeep continues to run...even with the key removed from the ignition. I have replaced the PCM, the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the ignition switch in the hopes of tracking down the short. If anyone has any other ideas on what could be causing the problem, or where to start looking, I could use the help. I love my TJ, but the love-hate relationship we have is leaning towards the hate side lately. please help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2.5L 4 cylinder. No engine lights at this point. Have not changed plugs, wires or distributor. I know that could cause the intermittent stalling, but not sure how it would cause the non-stop engine...and can't help feel like the problems are related...I know, stupid assumption, but the plugs and wires are less than a year old.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Is your battery good? The gauge and stumble symptoms could be a bad battery or battery connections.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
battery and cables are all good. tested those first thing as well as recently. not losing all power...accessory power does not shut off when stalling, just the engine...again, bad battery does not explaing the motor not shutting off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no new lights, and the timing is fine except for the occasional stumble. It runs perfectly the majority of the time. Was sure that it was gonna be either the CPS or the the ignition switch, but as of today, both are brand new...same problem.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Sounds to me like a wiring harness problem. Sensors, ignition parts, battery, etc won't make it continue to run-on after you try to shut it off. The stalling-on-turns also indicates wiring harness. A defective ignition switch can, but you've already replaced it.

Something's loose or shorting together.

While running, shake the wiring harnesses around, both under the hood and under the dash. If it stalls or burps you are getting close.

Especially look at the wires right under the battery - strip off the insulation to look at the wires themselves. Acid from the battery can drip down on them and cause all sorts of troubles.

Look very close under the dash, the ignition "hot" wire goes through a white connector (I think it's white) by the steering column. Make sure those wires are not touching something they shouldn't be. Sometimes your foot gets up there and causes trouble.

Remnants of wiring from an alarm? (That can be a real bag-o-worms)

Look at the hood hinges - some have a wiring harness there that the hood hinge can pinch.

Swap the ASD relay with the horn relay - see if that helps. (Probably not, but it's easy to do.)

Unsnap and lift the relay box so you can get to the bottom of the relay sockets. Look for corrosion and wires touching.

Somewhere wires are touching when they shouldn't be.

As a last resort - use the Factory Service Manual - not a Chiltons or generic manual. Use the wiring diagram to trace the ignition "hot" wire from the switch to wherever it goes (relay box?) looking for where it's shorting to power.

Let us know please.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been leaning towards a short as well, just wanted to make sure that I am on the right path...so far all of the shaking has shaken anything loose, but i will continue to try and track it down. Thanks for the input. I did try to switch the ASD relay, but no luck. I will let you know if I find anything. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts