Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i think a month or two ago i was going out of a friends driveway and i was going to put the jeep in drive from reverse and all of a sudden the jeep shut off this time i was able to start it back up just fine. I have a 2003 tj Automatic 42rle i believe and 4.0. I was driving to school today and i was stopped at a light and all of a sudden the jeep shut off again and i couldnt get it started and had to get jumped it seemed as though the battery was dead. Once it got jumped it was fine and i have noticed slow cranks and the jeep taking a long time to start up every once in a while. Also, later today, when i went to start the jeep to come home and it was fine it started up and rode fine. so I was thinking it was the battery because i think its origional so its around 10 years old and i was also thinking this happened around a mile or so from my house and i had a hard time starting the jeep like the battery was bad then it started up but wouldnt it make sense for it to be the alternator because it should have recharged the battery from the time i started it to the time it stalled? Thanks in advance i appreciate it. Joey.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check your voltage with your engine running if it reads anything below 13 volts then you alternator is bad good luck!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok ill check that now thank you very much ill post back in a few

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i drove it a little and the voltmeter on the dash for the battery seemed to stay right in the middle at 14 so that should be good and i had the battery charging and i took it off when i started it and it has never started so good since i have had it so i think it is the battery not unless i find it to be anything else through more suggestions thanks.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
don't trust the dash guage. put it on a ohm meter and check the voltage. The guages are notorious for not being right.

If the battery is 10 years old, that is the 1st place I'd look, but I don't think that is your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts