Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my TJ a little while ago, the PO said there is a 2" lift. I asked why the back is higher than the front. He said that's the way Jeeps are. Now I'm not so sure. Seeing pics on this site most jeeps are level
Here is a pic as purchased. Normal with 2" or something fishy going on? The lift 'pucks' front and rear appear to be the same size.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Vendor
103 Posts
It could of have a different axle swap into it, like a dana 44 or a ford 8.8 which are bigger axle shaft tube than a stock dana 35. That was the same issue i had with my 98 TJ. When i bought my JKS lift kit i just bought 3" spring for the front and a 2" for the rear and that made it pretty close to level. That definitely has a lot of rake compare to the rest of the jeeps i have lifted.

·
Premium Member
7,433 Posts
jeeps do have a bit of rake from the factory but yours does seem a bit more than normal. its likely do to sagging springs.

measure the coils, from the factory the fronts were 12" and rears were 8" with the weight of the jeep on the tires. then measure your spacers to verify they are equal length.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, too many mods to list.
1,559 Posts
Jeep Wranglers have been built for a long time with a rake to the suspension setups. Likely, two reasons. First is wind resistance and fuel economy. Just one MPG affects corporate averages, and let's face it, Jeeps aren't the best at fuel economy. Second, and more important, is stability. Jacked up jeeps have a higher center of gravity, and as long as some owners insist on driving their Jeep like it's a sports car, Jeeps will tip over. Sometimes, at speed. They want that minimized after a bunch of lawsuits a couple decades ago, by owners stating "nobody told me it would flip over if I ignored common sense and drove it like I stole it".

In my case, I added a lift kit, AND leveling spacers that added about an inch to the front springs. So, my LJ is sitting on a 3" lift in the rear, and effectively a 4" lift up front. While I used to race, I don't drive my personal Jeep like that. It's an exploration vehicle, not a racer. In order to leave the suspension appearing to be level, an extra inch or so needs to be added to the front suspension. And, after the lift, just drive sensibly, and all is fine. Very stable.

·
Registered
04 lj with GRTOPS half cab conversion 05 rocky mountain 06 rubicon with banks sidewinder turbo
1,522 Posts
When I bought my TJ a little while ago, the PO said there is a 2" lift. I asked why the back is higher than the front. He said that's the way Jeeps are. Now I'm not so sure. Seeing pics on this site most jeeps are level
Here is a pic as purchased. Normal with 2" or something fishy going on? The lift 'pucks' front and rear appear to be the same size.
View attachment 4557635
if you have a spacer lift your factory front springs have sagged that much over the years

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Is that pretty much to be expected with 10 year old coils? And if I'm replacing coils, is removing the spacers and buying 2" lift springs a better choice? I'm not a rock climber.
Some springs are better than others. Some sag quickly, some sag slowly, and others sag quickly just a bit, then settle down nicely.

I agree on the BDS springs. if you post a picture of your front suspension, including spacers, will help with recommendations. Also, note what you plan for your Jeep. Stick with the same 2” of lift, or change it? And to what? And the sort of driving you plan to do will help. (ie: overlanding and exploring VS nearly all street or occasional trail ride) The PO may have simply installed 2” lift spacers with no shock or spring change, which might explain sagging front aging springs. They could be 20 years old.

Reactions: dodj

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just measured springs. Fronts 11", Rears 8". And ya, 20 year old coils...not 10..
Front shocks look like they could be original, or at least very old. Could original shocks 'top out' and keep the spring compressed with the spacer lift?
@jksrep maybe I'll need to call northshore again......

@Dustdevil This Jeep was bought with overlanding as it's primary purpose. Not rocks trails, but bush/hunting trails. But there is at least an hour of highway each way to get to those areas so I want to keep decent hwy manners. My intention is to stay at 2" at the moment, I've only had the Jeep a month.....but you never know.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
. Could original shocks 'top out' and keep the spring compressed with the spacer lift?
@jksrep

@Dustdevil This Jeep was bought with overlanding as it's primary purpose. Not rocks trails, but bush/hunting trails. But there is at least an hour of highway each way to get to those areas so I want to keep decent hwy manners. My intention is to stay at 2" at the moment, I've only had the Jeep a month.....but you never know.
Yes, shocks can certainly top out. On most Jeeps, the shocks are the component which limits extension travel of the suspension (full extension depends on shock length). Ideally, the shock ought to top out before the springs can slip out of position. A quality lift has longer shocks. But they can also be too long. The idea of bump stops is so the suspension bottoms on something pretty reliable before the longer shock bottoms out. I found that I could piece together a decent lift kit by starting with the Zone lift. It's missing some components to do it right, but what's in the kit is good quality. BDS springs for 3" of lift (they also make springs alone for 2" of lift), and a very well designed rear sway bar relocation bracket, and bump stop extensions. 3" is about where you start to see a need for adjustable control arms, so 2" can be very smart if you want to avoid the complication. My lift came with a body lift, which I tossed. Not interested. You might consider a set of 2" BDS springs, stock spring spacers, a set of shocks designed for a 2" lift, and an adjustable front track bar. A set of adjustable front sway bar quick disconnects is always nice as well, but they can be added later if the lift is only 2".

If you want to start at a lower price point, you can piece it together starting with the pair of front springs designed for a 2" lift, and BDS are very well made springs. Proper materials and heat treating means they wont sag much at all for many years. Maybe 1/2" in first half year, then pretty much no sag in mine in the last 4 years or so. Can't vouch for your shocks. They are likely stock, and may well limit suspension travel. You can stage new shocks in whenever you want.

Reactions: Chugiakguy and dodj

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
thats likely the reason your front springs are 1" lower than OEM. the added weight is compressing the springs.

another option is to leave the rears alone and swap out the front OEM coils and spacer lift for 3" coils. throw on some 2" rancho 5000x shocks and enjoy
This might be a pretty good route to take. Esp considering the winch. The extra inch of preload in the springs can compensate for the extra weight without dramatically changing the spring rate.

Reactions: Chugiakguy

·
Premium Member
7,433 Posts
~100 lbs, but then add the leverage of it being out in front of the axle. its like holding something close to your chest or arms fully extended in front of you.

its not uncommon for a winch to cause .5-1" of sag, even on brand new springs

·
Registered
04 lj with GRTOPS half cab conversion 05 rocky mountain 06 rubicon with banks sidewinder turbo
1,522 Posts
Is that pretty much to be expected with 10 year old coils? And if I'm replacing coils, is removing the spacers and buying 2" lift springs a better choice? I'm not a rock climber.
i would use H&R springs they will give you an inch to inch and half lift and either rancho or billstein shocks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts