Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to re-wire my PIAA LP530 driving lights to my Daystar A-pillar switch cluster but the wiring from the PIAA switch doesn’t seem to match up with a standard rocker switch. Has anyone done this successfully and therefore would know the color coding interpretation from the PIAA relay? Alternatively, can I simply re-wire the lights using a standard 12V-40A relay as this will match up well with the switches in the cluster?

·
Retired Moderator
100,702 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Pretty sure the PIAA switch uses 3 wires. Ground, Positive and the trigger wire to the relay. Ground is likely black, the Positive is in the middle and the third should be the trigger to the relay. You could always rewire it with a standard relay. That should match up with a standard 3 pole rocker. Or just figure out which wire provides the power from your a pillar when the switch is on and spice that to the trigger (3rd) wire on the PIAA harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very helpful. Thanks. Yes, the PIAA switch uses three wires: red, black and white. The white wire is 12V+ and goes directly to a piggyback fuse in the fusebox. It only goes to the switch and does not go to the relay. If I understand you correctly, this white wire should be connected to the "OFF" side of the rocker switch. Both the red and black go to the PIAA relay so one of them should be ground (probably black but easy to test). The red wire should be connected to the "ON" side of the rocker switch and would be equivalent to position 85 on a standard relay. That leaves the black wire to the PIAA relay without a destination? I have determined that there is 100% conductivity (0 ohms) between the red and black wire when the PIAA switch is ON and 8 ohms between these two wires when the switch is OFF. There is an 8 ohm resistor on the little circuit board inside the PIAA switch that looks like it's wired in parallel with the switch. Hard to tell without a schematic and PIAA won't give me one (I've asked). Thanks again for your wisdom.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I believe the relay is already grounded and the black wire going to the switch is coming from the relay to ground the switch, does the piaa switch light up?

You may not even need to do anything with the ground. Just make sure to ground the a pillar rocker if it's the type that lights up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again! Yes, there's a single LED on the PIAA switch which lights up GREEN when the driving lights are OFF and RED when the driving lights are ON. The rough schematic (p. 5) shows battery(-) bypassing the relay but my understanding is that any relay function requires a ground... somewhere.

http://www.piaa.com/Shared/instructions/LP530 Instructions.pdf

File attached.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts