Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered.

I am within a couple of weeks of ordering a new sport unlimited. First jeep. Daily driver and weekend use in mud and deep sand. No rock in my near future. Will body lift 1-2 and suspension lift a couple (later). Tire upgrade but not huge. Probably the 15 inch wheel and tire combo from Discount. I will occasionally tow a 900 lb boat.

I see many posts advising 3.73. Does this rec hold for a standard trans or does it not matter given the control you have with gear selection? Would a lower ratio get better mpg or is this upgrade a no brainer?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What size tire do you plan to move up to? Also, I personally would not get a body lift.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The only way you can get the lower gear ratio from the dealer is to move up to the Rubicon, you also get the 4:1 transfer case in the Rubicon. The other way is to aftermarket with a gear swap. Gas mileage shouldn't play too much of a role as the cost of either of the options above range in price from about $1K to $10K. Basically you would have to do quite a bit of highway driving to offset the cost of upgrade to the cost of gas (I'm running 37's with 5.13 gears and still get right at 14 mpg on the highway vs. 16 stock).

From what I have heard, the manual trans, 3.73 gears and the new engine are pretty good for DD use as well as light to moderate trail use. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the 3.73's put enough torque to the wheels to keep the tires spinning fast enough to clear them of mud or to keep them on top of the sand.

Also, do some reasearch on the 15" wheels to make sure that there won't be any interference with the brakes and suspension.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the 3.73 gears and am running 33's on 15 using as a DD and doing trails (mud, rocks, hills, etc) a few times a month and still get around 14 - 15 mpg and handles great. I'd probably avoid a body lift and just lift the suspension as well im running 2.5 coil springs with a .75 budget boost and haven't run into any problems, hope that helps.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Esp on the lift. I'll need to look into that.

I may need to ask the question a different way. On a stock rig, with stock P225/75R16 tires, does having a manual trans mean there is no need to get the 3.73 upgrade? Or is it still helpful?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts