Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the best way to loosen up these damn star bolts on hinges and things after 24 yrs

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Use Torx head sockets (available at auto parts stores Sears and Harbor Freight)
Use plenty of PB Blaster and let soak
Tap them with a hammer
Pray they dont strip out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Start soaking them in an oil penetrant like PB blaster or liquid wrench. I personally like to soak them twice a day for at least a day before I even attempt to remove them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
always use pb for a day. Then torx socket and a hand impact driver.my hand impact is a 3/8 drive

·
Registered
50 Posts
I shouted many obscenities when I changed my windshield hinges. I found out the hard way the best way to do it is with an air impact. With a ratchet I stripped nearly all of them. I use a 1/2" Ingersoll and a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. Works beautifully. No more shouting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I shouted many obscenities when I changed my windshield hinges. I found out the hard way the best way to do it is with an air impact. With a ratchet I stripped nearly all of them. I use a 1/2" Ingersoll and a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. Works beautifully. No more shouting.
X2 for impact wrench and PB Blaster. My impact wrench is electric, and works great as well. It has paid for itself many times over. If you plan on doing much work on your YJ, it is a worthwhile investment. If this is just a one-time thing, see about renting one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
+1 on welding on a nut. What a pain in the balls those window ones are. I welded a nut on to each of them and smacked it with my air gun, popped them right off. Took about 30 minute to clean and weld a nut on each one, blast them off and put everything away. Prior to that it took me about 3 hours to strip two out and cut maybe 3 of my knuckles!

Any time I need to do this on a jeep in the future, I'm going the weld route

1 - 11 of 11 Posts