Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read people complain about this and the general consensus is usually "the 3.6 clatters on startup - don't worry about it".

Well it really bugs me to think about parts rattling around without sufficient lubricant so I wanted to see if something could help.

I switched to Amazon Basic synthetic 5w-20 oil on my last oil change.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5FF59T

Before you laugh, watch this:

Problem solved. I no longer get any rattle or clatter when starting the Jeep, even when its been sitting for a week.

Something to consider trying if you are bothered by the clatter like I was...

I only wish the switch to Redline MTL had solved my rough shifting problems as well...

Reactions: 2qik2see

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Give it a few weeks, it will come back.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I think the oil is initially more effective. I run synthetic and the startup clatter is definitely gone after changing the oil, but it comes back.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Love Project Farm totally unbiased here is the video and how it went.
And I agree that I can easily tell when its time for an oil change just by the valve train noise.
Fresh clean oil quiet motor 2-3months in and you get the clatter.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I switched from 5w-20 to 5w-30 Pennzoil Syn in my '14 based on some others views on here, and I can tell you I have no more start-up clatter since the change. Your results may vary, but it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Only couple hundred miles into Mobil 1 oil change and always got clatter if the Jeep sits for a day or two. I think I’m going to try the new rotella gas truck synthetic. Is there a “considered the best” oil filter for the 3.6? I typically just use OEM oil filters

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only couple hundred miles into Mobil 1 oil change and always got clatter if the Jeep sits for a day or two. I think I’m going to try the new rotella gas truck synthetic. Is there a “considered the best” oil filter for the 3.6? I typically just use OEM oil filters

Everything I’ve ever read indicates that the “best” air filters and oil filters are generally the OEM ones so that’s what I always use. Also there is a thread somewhere on here from a guy that blew his engine because of a bad aftermarket oil filter and Chrysler gave him the run-around on warranty coverage (initially denying it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
100,492 Posts
I run pennzoil ultra Platinum 5w30, with a Mopar oil Filter. I do not have the start up clatter/tick noise.

I change it every 3K to 5K, depending on type of driving highway, verses in town short drives.

Reactions: Hdhoo73

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
If you let it sit for any appreciable time at all the oil in the heads will totally drain out of the heads. If I let mine sit for say a week or more it will clatter. This is pretty much true for every vehicle out there.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
My Prefered oil is 5W30 Amsoil. Engine stays quiet between changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts