Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to crank my 87 yj the other morning and it made a loud almost grinding sound. Like metal hitting metal. So I replaced the starter and the fly wheel with no change to the loud sound when I turn it over. It only happens while the starter is engaged. Has anyone ever had this problem or heard of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Going through this now myself I talked to a jeep mechanic yesterday and he said try a starter off of a 89 or a 90 I haven't tried yet good luck

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
can't use an 88 or newer starter, the fly wheel is different. this is a common problem with the 87 4.2, especially if you have done any mods to the motor like a HEI distributor or upped the compression. I dealt with it for about 3 years, tried various starters from different parts houses, changed the fly wheel, etc. the only thing that helped some is enlarging the bottom bolt hole and shoving the starter towards the motor then tightening the bolts, this helped some but it was still pretty loud. the fix for me was getting a gear reduction starter, you can spend alot of money getting a mean green or power master starter or get one from alterstart on ebay for about 130.00. my jeep is as quiet as a new car starting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Starter problem

I rebuilt my 4.2, bore it 60 over, changed from a standard to automatic. Orielly's told me there were two different flywheels, a weighted one and an unweighted one.....I didn't know which I needed.....I bought both and compared them...they looked the same except for the weight. They also said there is only one starter listed for the automatic...I bought it...so everything is new...I still have a bad grinding sound, several post have talked about shimming the starter, but you CAN'T shim these starters up and down like a GM starter . So what's the answer?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I rebuilt my 4.2, bore it 60 over, changed from a standard to automatic. Orielly's told me there were two different flywheels, a weighted one and an unweighted one.....I didn't know which I needed.....I bought both and compared them...they looked the same except for the weight. They also said there is only one starter listed for the automatic...I bought it...so everything is new...I still have a bad grinding sound, several post have talked about shimming the starter, but you CAN'T shim these starters up and down like a GM starter . So what's the answer?
Read the post right before you, I think he says it well , what needs to be done.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If that's what it takes I probably will. But I know there is another solution, I'm sure they didn't grind like that new. I'm gonna check casting numbers to make sure what year my engine is and go from there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i took my starter from a junkyard j10 with a 360 which is the same part number as the 4.2 and it made the same sound so i took a grinder and ground the face of it down about 3/16 and it sounds great now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts