Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since the last time I went mudding my starter grinds right as the engine starts up. It runs normally and starts normally until the point where the engine actually starts to turn over. I haven't actually had a problem getting it to start but it's annoying and worrying. Any advice on the cause and the solution would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
You can remove it, disassemble and clean it up or replace it, but above all, remember mud is the enemy of all things mechanical.
Most likely some mud dried in the Bendix of the starter you should be able the disassemble and clean and lube it, while down you can see if it need replacement parts, and make it last a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
You got some crap in the starter bendix drive which makes the thing engage the teeth on the flywheel. Drop the starter and clean it out.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
You got some crap in the starter bendix drive which makes the thing engage the teeth on the flywheel. Drop the starter and clean it out.
Wish I Had Thought of That! :lmao:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts