Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 X with 56000 miles on it, went to fill it up with gas after sitting for 4 days in the cold low of abuot 20 to 35 degrees and initally had 1/2 a crank then click click click etc. Now all I get is clicking. I cleaned the battery terminals and tapped the starter with a hammer but just clicking. I tried to use jumper cables with my wifes Santa Fe and still just clicking!! I seem to have enought juice and when I tru starting with the lights on, its now dark out, the light do not dim. On Monday when I last ran her she struggled to turn over, again it was like 15 degrees out so I figured the battery my be getting tired but if I am trying to jump start it off another car and all I get are clicks, I am thinking its a bad starter. I'm surprised since its an 06 that the starter would crap out already!! Any thoughts???

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Sounds like corrosion somewhere. Make sure you have a good contact when you have it jumped. Starters are pretty much all or nothing while a battery going dead or corrosion acts just like you have described.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
If the battery is dead you will have to connect the jumper cables and give it 15mins or so to charge up. It's not like the Santa Fe is known to have an incredibly high output alternator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you have a volt meter (fluke). Check at the starter for 12 volts when cranking if you have a bad connection between the battery and starter you will see a voltage drop. Pay close attention to where the battery cable is molded to the cable itself for corrosion and also batt connections. If you don't have a fluke or such you need to get one Also if you try to many times with low voltage to crank it you can ruin your starter

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its the battery, I left it on a trickel charger all night and turned over this morning fine. I was suspecting something else since the lights didn't dim at all when trying last night and everything worked as should. I guess I didn't let my wifes car run enough before trying, usually when I use jumper cables it turns right over. I was a bit impatient last night but looks like I need a new battery! Thanks for all the help!!:doh:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Clicking is generally always (99.9999%) either a bad connection at the battery or a weak battery. Do the simple/free part first by physically removing both battery connections and cleaning them with a wire brush, then securely reinstalling the connectors. If you cannot get them tight enough, that indicates the battery post or battery connector is worn.

If that doesn't take care of it, then have the battery load tested at your local auto parts store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts