Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when i start my jeep i get a screech from the starter. Is this an easy fix or do i need to replace it.
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I guess right after the screech it engages and starts. If so the be six is going bad or the solenoid.

It has a solenoid that drives the gear forward to engage the teeth on the ring gear. It is sticky stalling or getting lazy.

Yes a new starter is probably in order and soon because you can wear the teeth down on the ring gear and then you will need to replace the flywheel which means a trans drop. Not fun.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Are you sure the screech is coming from the starter and not a belt? I know it's a rookie mistake but nonetheless one I made:banghead:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Are you sure the screech is coming from the starter and not a belt? I know it's a rookie mistake but nonetheless one I made:banghead:
I'm leaning towards this based upon your description. Although, one persons screech could be anothers grinding. :D. I would rule out the belt(s) and go from there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
if your getting a screeching noise then that is going to be the bendix going bad. pull it and take it to the local auto parts store and have them test it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts