Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, I've been having starter problems with my 2002 TJ for almost 2 years now. It seems like most of the time the jeep will not start, occasionally it will. currently it's in a state where it will start, the odd thing is it will start without the clutch pushed in, with the clutch bypass not disengaged...

To clarify, the jeep will start with a 20a fuse in #20 slot in the fusebox and without the fuse in the #20 slot.

It's impossible to diagnose the problem until the jeep fails to start again, has anyone ever seen this issue where the jeep will start even with the clutch bypassed? I'm wondering if this is related to the issue?

Also, these are the parts that have been replaced over the last 2 years:
ignition actuator
ignition switch
ignition relay
key cylinder
starter

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Is the switch on the clutch pedal bad or adjusted incorrectly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could try checking your grounds as well. I had a similar issue with my 03. Filing all of the grounds ended up doing the trick, and I haven't had any issues in almost a year.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
52,008 Posts
You could try checking your grounds as well. I had a similar issue with my 03. Filing all of the grounds ended up doing the trick, and I haven't had any issues in almost a year.
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Did you get it fixed?

To start, I've been having starter problems with my 2002 TJ for almost 2 years now. It seems like most of the time the jeep will not start, occasionally it will. currently it's in a state where it will start, the odd thing is it will start without the clutch pushed in, with the clutch bypass not disengaged...

To clarify, the jeep will start with a 20a fuse in #20 slot in the fusebox and without the fuse in the #20 slot.

It's impossible to diagnose the problem until the jeep fails to start again, has anyone ever seen this issue where the jeep will start even with the clutch bypassed? I'm wondering if this is related to the issue?

Also, these are the parts that have been replaced over the last 2 years:
ignition actuator
ignition switch
ignition relay
key cylinder
starter

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

What did you do to fix this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looking at the starting circuit on this, this sounds like a clutch switch issue, or something in the power distribution block under the hood. From the ignition switch power to the starter solenoid comes out of the only yellow wire in the ignition switch, it must go through the clutch pedal, and that wire comes out yellow red to the starter. If you can start your rig with or without the bypass or clutch pressed in, I would test the yellow red wire on the other side of the clutch switch with the ignition on, and the clutch not pressed in. If you have power to the other side of the switch then its failed, if you don't have power to the other side of the switch, I would think either your starter relay or ADS relay are failed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts