Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I had a problem when I would try to start the Jeep, the starter would turn but it would not engage. I took it into the dealership under warranty and they replaced it. This week it seemed to do the same thing so I took it in again even though the Jeep isnt under warranty the part itself was. Now they're telling me it's because my battery was very low. All the electronics worked and the starter turned it just wouldn't crank the engine and now they're charging me 51 bucks to charge the battery because it wasn't the part itself causing the problem. They said there was enough juice in the battery for the radio and everything else to turn on and the starter to turn but it didn't have enough juice to turn the starter fast enough. Has anyone ever heard of this or am I getting the runaround?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I would be skeptical, if the battery and alternator are in good working order there should be no need to charge it. Although it is true that you can run a lot of accessories on a battery that won't have enough juice to start the vehicle I'd be wondering what the underlying cause of the battery to not be charged is. Were you running accessories with the engine off? Is the battery getting older? Is your alternator not working properly?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery is about 3 years old. They charged it and tested it a few times. Said its fine and doesnt need replaced yet. Not sure why it was so low. Dont think* I left anything on like lights or accessories. Jeep starts fine now. Guess I should just be glad it wasnt a bigger issue. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I've heard batteries don't last long in the JK. It may be in its way out. When I bought mine when I turned it off everything stayed on. It was the oddest thing for me. I'd turn the lights off. But they would stay on for a bit. The radio would stay on. Maybe more stuff. I had to go into settings and make sure it all turned off when I turned off the jeep. All that stuff plus the fact that even the gas pedal is electric is a lot more work for a battery than the previous generation wrangler. Add our own electrical accessories and it's even more for the battery. Anyways that's my theory. I say you use this to convince the wife if you have one. That you need a duel battery setup. Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts