Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, here is my problem. I was out on the trails yesterday and my engine suddenly started reading it was over heating and my rpms kept bouncing all around at idle. My check engine light came on as well. I pulled off onto a field and cut the engine off to let it cool down before driving it home. Well when I tried to start the engine back up, I get full power to everything but my starter wont even click as if attempting to turn over. All fuses checked out and I have full power through all of my wires. Any ideas would be lovely because I am stumped!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Was it actually overheating or just your gauges going crazy? Sounds like an electrical problem. Did you drown anything out on the trail? Check all your wiring at the starter and also all your ground wires especially the one from your battery. It may be the starter itself. You can have it checked at your local part store.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
did it get wet?

Its weird that so many things went wrong at once related to your guages. Sounds like water got into something and started putting voltage on lines that do not need it.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
...Welcome by the way!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It did get a little wet on the trails, but we checked all of the wires and they all checked out fine. As for the part store, my jeep is sitting at the entrance to the off road park without me :( lol

·
Registered
853 Posts
If it's just your starter than you should be able to kick-start it. Provided you instruments are reading normal and there isn't any new issues that should work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We tried tapping the starter and we tried popping the clutch to no avail.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
If you pop the clutch and still do not start, its not your starter. Something electrical...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the manual transmissions have the NSS or is that just an automatic?

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
I think just the auto but Im not 100% sure... Really want to make sure everything is dry. Bring some compressed air out there and blow out the fuse boxes under the hood, check the computer cable on the firewall as well. Be sure its all nice and dry... And by the starter itself...

I have to avoid water with my wrangler and I have not figured out why yet. Same types of issues. Its weird though, I can go through mud like no tomorrow, raining like hell, no problem. Splash through a 2" puddle and she stalls out on me. Its frustrating!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She's been through mud puddles before, and this time was the wettest I got it, but it still wasnt too wet. I am about to just start replacing piece by piece until it works.

Does anyone know where this part is and what it is called?

·
Registered
160 Posts
That (starter solenoid) should be on your firewall by your battery. Battery to solenoid to starter.. If it’s not even clicking I would guess ignition or starter solenoid

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
when you start cleaning and drying terminals, put dielectric grease on them

·
i'm......... lost
1,668 Posts
if it hasn't gotten wet enough to damage it, it could either be the starter (or any of its components).. or the alternator. i had the same problem in my old altima. sounds like the exact same issue (mine turned out to be the alternator)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
If electrical stuff started acting up, I would first look at connection at PDB, next the PCM connection

1 - 16 of 16 Posts