Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start the jeep today (2004 6cly) after sitting idle for a week. Battery seemed a bit weak, but no big deal, I plan to replace it. Started up after a slow crank.

After running for 30 seconds, I shut it off, went to start it again - nothing. After a quick diagnosis with a multi-meter, I found no voltage going to the starter solenoid when the key is turned. The starter relay located in the engine compartment fuse panel clicks when the ignition is turned, but that's it. I am able to jet it started by pop-starting the clutch.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery... Continue with the replacement plan :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Yep starting it just completed draining the battery so low it couldn't start the engine again and the engine didn't run long enough after you started it to recharge the battery.

I would first charge the battery overnight (a couple hours is not enough) and see if that restores it. If you continue having problems, have the battery load-tested at a battery shop to determine its true health and whether it needs replacing or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those playing along, I finally had some time to work on the Jeep - it wasn't the battery.

After much diagnosis, I found it was the aftermarket alarm/ignition kill that was keeping it from starting. When the Jeep was bought in 2004, the dealer had installed some sort of aftermarket alarm - to get a reduction in their insurance while the vehicle was on the lot they said. We had never actually used the alarm and the key fob was long lost.

When the jeep was cranking, the voltage fluctuation somehow tripped the alarm or made it go screwy. I found the brain, and where they had spliced into the ignition. Re-connected the ignition wires and it fired right up - on the old battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts