Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

A few questions...

I recently ordered the 8 piece adjustable teraflex control arms (lowers and uppers). I have a 2.5 inch lift and am running stock tires/wheels at present on my 2014 JKU.

For the front lowers, I've read the recommended starting place is 23" center to center while measured in a straight line.

For the front uppers, what is the recommended starting place?

I'm aware it needs to be dialed in to get the desired +4.2 degrees caster. I'm not aware of the measurement for the pinion.

For the rear uppers and rear lowers - what is the recommendation?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I was looking at your threads and just saw this. Are you all set ?

Front lowers i like to start at 23 1/8
Front uppers stock 18 3/4

Rear lowers 20 1/4 or .5 over stock
Rear uppers (depends 2/4 door). You want the pinion about -2°

Front caster/pinion are fixed at 6° between the 2.
+2° will give you 4° caster. 4-5° is ideal unless running a really tall lift.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
If anybody reads this and installing all 8 arms. I found the easiest way to install. Get the lowers set identical in length and bolt up.
Use a jack to hold the pinion at +2/-2°. The uppers can be installed matching the mount holes. Bolt up frame end and adjust the joint out so the bolt sides through the axle end mount. Recheck pinion angles and torque everything down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply - I believe I'm all set - I had them installed and aligned professionally. I ended up only getting adjustable front lowers and adjustable rear uppers (was told I didn't need all eight)

I'm certainly no expert at reading these sheets but it seems to me the caster is too high..it's a 2.5 inch lift.

·
Registered
926 Posts
awesome I was about to buy the teraflex monster set but intead bought the rancho bracket but the teraflex monter arm set is definitely in my radar subbed and thanks.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Thanks for the reply - I believe I'm all set - I had them installed and aligned professionally. I ended up only getting adjustable front lowers and adjustable rear uppers (was told I didn't need all eight) I'm certainly no expert at reading these sheets but it seems to me the caster is too high..it's a 2.5 inch lift.
Its def higher but acceptable at 2.5. Just keep a eye on the TC side DS joint. If you were to run a aftermarket shaft caster would need to come down.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
awesome I was about to buy the teraflex monster set but intead bought the rancho bracket but the teraflex monter arm set is definitely in my radar subbed and thanks.
You have a 4 door so all thats really needed is front lowers or brackets like you have.
2 doors benefit with rear uppers but at higher heights.
Now if you wanted to run 37's a set of upper and lower rear arms will help moving the axle back a bit.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Theprez - now is a good time to get a pinion measurement to compare it to the alignment.

I mean often what you read is not always accurate like a alignment.
Later it will make adjusting caster yourself easier.

I prefer to measure pinion right off the output flange. Its tight but you can get a angle on there. Some people drop the DS, its only 4 bolts.
With 6° caster pinion should read 0°
If it reads 1° you now know you are 1° off compared to a alignment.
Installing a DS, you would bring the pinion up to 3° (figuring in the 1° difference) which would have caster right at 4°
4° = 3° caster and so on ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts