Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Jeeps. I have plans to buy a 2002 4 cylinder. I know it isn't the most powerful made. I don't intend to do any rock climbing or wading any rivers. I would like to set it up with a winch and some mods that would help in trail riding.

My first question is in the first days of the old Willies Jeep it had skinny tires and was driven every where with out to much trouble. If it got stuck a couple of guys with 4x4x8' or so would pry it out and keep going. They also had low power flat heads. I guess my question is why the tall and fat tires? Don't you need more power to turn over bigger tires?

Question two would be why is a four cylinder burning so much gas? They are saying that it only gets 17 and 15 miles to the gal. Is it because of weight? How can you get better gas mileage.

Question three is is the 2002 Jeep 4 cylinder auto worth $6000?

Question four is to be workable on trails will I have to replace the auto with a five speed.

That is all the questions I have for now. Thank you all for any information you can offer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
question 3 - that depends on the condition and any upgrades - buying from private or dealer? Private party will get a better deal - I just bought a 98 with 116k miles for 4200 - it only needs minor work done. IMO a 02 that is in decent shape is worth 6k - but i would personally pass since its auto but that me

·
Registered
222 Posts
The 4 cylinder will do just as well as the 6 on the trails but if you don't rear gear for bigger tires it will be a dog on the road, also not sure about an auto 4 cylinder. Don't settle for a 4 cylinder if you want a six cylinder. No jeep gets good MPG its a brick with wheels. Make sure you check real good for rust and frame rot. I waited and waited and found mine a 2000 6 cylinder 120,000 miles AC, no rust, no mods, good shape for 6500

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Do Jeeps need AC?
Q#3 Is it worth $6000? Well maybe if the miles aren't too high, and everything else is in good shape

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
#1 Fat tires grip rocks better. The bigger the tires the more you bridge uneven terrain.

#2 Jeeps are not aerodynamic and they are not that lite. They are also geared for off-road use not for high mileage.

#4 A lot of people lit the auto better off-road. It multiplies torque, less chance of stalling and you only need two feet instead of three to works all the pedals at once. (And sometimes you have to, which is why a hand throttle is installed.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the information. The one I am looking at has 80,000 miles and looks good. I didn't look at the frame and it is all stock. I don't think it ever saw a trail. It was a daily driver.

It is half the cost of a new side X side and can be driven on the road. With a little work I think it would be a good trail machine and around our place it could be used to carry tools and such or pull a trailer to get wood. I think this is going to be a go. I will check out the frame before I lay out the cash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts