Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the rear main seal on my '97 4.0 Sahara. Nothing electrical was disconnected besides the starter and drivers side O2 sensor. Playing it cautiously before starting it after reassembly, I pulled the center wire from the dist cap, hung it aside, and cranked till I got oil pressure showing. I them reinstalled the cap wire and it won't start. Did I potentially outsmart myself with allowing the cap wire to hang loose and not grounded as I cranked for oil pressure and potentially burned up part of the ignition? Or did it continue to inject fuel and possibly simply flood it. I did pull a plug and found it dry. I pulled one plug wire and fitted it to spare plug and grounded it without witnessing any spark. Any thoughts appreciated. - Mark

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I don’t think the ‘97s have a fuse 28. Check fuse 11 in the fuse block behind the glove box. That supplies power to the ASD relay which powers the PCM, coil, injectors & the O2 sensor heaters, I think & some other things. If it’s blown check the wires to the O2 sensors to make sure they aren’t damaged or pinched somewhere since you were working in that area prior to it not starting. If you have an auto trans fuse 11 also powers the torque converter clutch solenoid which has the wire going to the trans so check there too. All of those wires are red/light green.

·
Registered
15,652 Posts
If you believe the online FSM for 97 it has one see attached crapy photos

Granted I don't have a 97 tj to look at but either I am reading the manual wrong or the manual is wrong or it has a fuse 28

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Digger, I know what you are saying but notice the last photo. It shows a coil pack. 97’s didn’t use coli packs. To tell what yr the manual is for go to about page 1 or 2 of the Introduction & in the decoding the VIN section & go down to position 10 in the chart & note what the description says. Example: V=1997 or 2=2002. I’m betting the one you have is actually for 2003. Why do I say that? I found that error on an often referred to web site for FSMs probably 2 yrs ago or more. I tried to contact the moderator or administrator about the misinformation but got nowhere.

The real ’97 manual can be found here:

See online read only FSMs here:
Jeep Information Center, Jeep Parts Catalog, Jeep Repair Manual & More
You may have to go to the bottom of the page & pick Jeep Resources & online manuals if it directs you to home page rather than the knowledge base.
Pick your model & year then on the drop down menu pick the chapter you need.

hemifan, what have you found?

·
Registered
15,652 Posts
Yep guess you can't always believe what you read on the Internet sorry for the bad info from my end and thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
We’re all here to help each other. You’ve given a lot of good advice on here so I wanted to correct that. I wish that site would fix this though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts