Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After coming home after 2 weeks I drove my jeep for about 2 days and I think I may have left the dome light on. The next morning I went to start it up and it was dead. I jumped it and the engine was turning over and when I gave it some gas but it wouldn't start. I went to auto zone and bought a new fuel pump relay and that seemed to fix the problem. A couple days later my jeep wouldn't even start. I charged the battery and put it back in and it started right back up again. It started perfectly throughout the day until I came home to pick something up and it wouldnt start. 2 Things happen when I try to start it now. It will either turn on but when I crank it will just turn off, won't even attempt to start even when there is enough battery. This 2nd thing is really strange. When I put the key in the car won't even turn on but when I take the key out the gauges jump and spin going crazy. I have no idea what this means. When I put the key back in they stop. Any help would be amazing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Doubt this is the problem but do u have a spare key. Maybe the chip is going bad in the key. Definitely sounds electronic though. That's always fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 98 TJ (minus the jumping gauges) but it would randomly start, and randomly not start. When it didn't start, the gauges and dummy lights would sometimes respond to the key-on position, and sometimes not.

I spent about $35 on new positive and negative cables and all was better.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My jumping gauges was due to a ground issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, went back and wire brushed the battery terminals and leads until they were shiney : ), everything is good to go for now, I guess I didn't clean them as well as I thought the first time. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts