Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 05 Wrangler. Most of the time, when I try to start it, nothing happens. All electrical come and all gauges are working, but the starter does nothing. Every now and then, it will start, like it was brand new. I have wiggled wires, checked connections. And put a new connection on the starter end. If I take a hot wire from the hot wire to starter and jump it to the solenoid, it will start, no problem. Fuse is not blown, could the starter relay or ignition switch be bad?:pullinghair:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Check to see if you are getting power to the solenoid when the key is in the start position. If you are getting power then the switch is good and the solenoid or starter will be a good place to start ( so to speak ) I would suspect the switch, solenoid, dead spot in the starter, wiring or a neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already tested that and I have no signal. As above, a jumper wire from the hot lead to solenoid, will start vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Is it Manual Trans or Automatic? If a manual check to see if the wires and connectors to the Clutch Pedal detention switch are all proper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Automatic. Odd thing is, I may walk out there right now and it start up, with no problem. You never know when it will work.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Inspect wires where they pass through the firewall and are in close to the engine. Look for any wear through the wire loom and wear through the wire insulation, exposing bare wire that could ground out on you.

Pull the ignition switch out and try starting with a screwdriver... If it works, then the actuator is is not working.

The photo was from this article, which may be helpful...
https://wranglerforum.com/threads/how-to-drive-home-if-your-ignition-pin-actuator-breaks.10902/

Hope you find the solution soon! Fingers crossed!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds very similar to an issue I had recently. My problem was an exposed wire that was touching metal, grounding out the starter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
As a locksmith I would suggest to get the Ignition cylinder inspected and the electrical switch looked at too.
While the ignition cylinder seems to turn just fine there is a cup shaped component that intersects with the electrical swich that can chip or break.

The electrical switch can burn out around the contacts as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried again to double check and a hot wire from battery to signal wire on solenoid, starts the jeep, no prob. So the starter and solenoid are fine.
I removed the key cylinder and used a screw driver to try and start the vehicle, same outcome nothing happens. I do hear clicking coming from behind the glove box. I removed the glove and none of the fuses are blown. I dont see anything else, but the noise is in that area.
I also tried to see if the starter relay was working. 1 slot had 5v and it never changed when trying to start. There was 1 slot with .2v and when I tried to start, it dropped to 0, then went back to .2v when I released the key. I didnt see a 12v signal anywhere the relay plugged it.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If no starter relay terminal is getting 12v power at any time check fuse 6 in the PDC (use a meter if it “looks good”) that fuse is for power to terminal 30 of the starter relay. If you get power to 30 you should be able to make a short jumper wire & WITH IT IN NEUTRAL & THE HAND BRAKE SET jump from 30 to terminal 87 to engage the starter.

If the fuse is good but you still do not get power to 30 there is a problem between the fuse & the relay. If so, lift the PDC & check that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
May be getting closer. I went and tried everything and jumping from 87 to 30, made it start. So I swapped relays with horn (same relay according to PN), and nothing happened. So I checked the signal from the key and it was only .85v. So, while holding the key to start position and trying to figure out why I only had .85v, the voltage started to climb to 8v. I put the relay back in, held the key for about 6 sec and the jeep started. So I guess the question now is, why isnt the voltage instant? It is like a glow plug warming up before it works.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That is good progress. You have isolated it to the pink/orange signal wire. You may have high resistance in the wire or not likely but possibly an overload. Do you have any added components like maybe an alarm or remote start? Some things can have an initial high amperage draw at startup which can cause a temporary voltage drop.

If you have nothing like that added, I would start checking that signal wire from the ignition switch end. Unplug the connector from the switch. Using the jumper you made for the relay, jump from a 12v (red) wire to the pink/orange wire. See if you get an immediate starter engagement or the same delay. If immediate that will indicate the switch is the cause. If so plug the connector back in & retry turning the switch in case you actually had a bad connection in the connector. If back to delay, the switch is bad. If now immediate you have fixed it.

If jumping the connector still has the delay the next step is to locate the big yellow C301 connector in the kick panel which has the signal wire at pin a7. Unplug it & check that all wires, especially the signal wire, are well seated & locked into position & no signs of heating or melting on the connector or terminals. To further check it you can jump from the a7 (signal wire) to the red 12v wire next to it at a6 on the engine side of the connector to check starter engagement.

If you still have the delay, from there you have a splice along the firewall with one leg going on to the relay & the other going to the PCM. That adds 2 possibilities. One, the splice could be bad or two, the PCM could be drawing the voltage down which seems very unlikely so hopefully you have found the cause before getting to that point.

Post results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason for pulling my hair! everything is working properly now. the latency in the system has disappeared and for the next 10 starts, everything worked fine. We will see how long it last. Maybe with all the plugging and unplugging, I may have had a bad connection.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Not working, then working after unplugging and plugging connectors seem like a good possibility connection was bad as previously stated by RUBI 4 MY MRS. A can of electronics cleaner is cheap enough. It wouldn't hurt to make sure all the contacts involved are good and clean... Spray down the all the terminals and sockets involved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A problem still exists. After it sets a day or so, you have to hold the key in start position for 5 or 6 sec, then it will start. After that, all is good till it sits a day or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems to be an issues with ignition/firing somewhere. It is back to only giving me .7v signal to the starter relay. Also, when I put the key in the on position and and jump from battery to starter solinoid, the Jeep will turn over, but will not fire.

Could the ECM give me this issue, along with a transmission shifting issue?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts