Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF... I got a 90 yj 258 w/weber and nutter. I just finished an paintjob & overhauled the top half of the engine but also had most of external parts disconected inc coil, wireing harness, manifold ect. Now with everything back in when i started it it ran wide open (sounds like 4000rpm> throtle linkage is connected good> thats without depressing the accelerator. I think its a wiring problem but without the gas how can it rev so hard.

·
Registered
227 Posts
WTF... I got a 90 yj 258 w/weber and nutter. I just finished an paintjob & overhauled the top half of the engine but also had most of external parts disconected inc coil, wireing harness, manifold ect. Now with everything back in when i started it it ran wide open (sounds like 4000rpm> throtle linkage is connected good> thats without depressing the accelerator. I think its a wiring problem but without the gas how can it rev so hard.
Have you checked the choke? If it is choked closed and the linkage is stuck, you'd be turning about 3300 RPM sitting still!

·
Registered
2 Posts
gotta agree w/ GJ. Sounds like stuck linkage. The automatic choke will run high to start but not 4k... closer to 1900 at the first setting, then 1200 for the second to warm the engine. Hope you get it straightened out.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I'm not as good with Carbs as I am with FI, and I could be way off here but I'd say that there is a vacuum leak probably in the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm not as good with Carbs as I am with FI, and I could be way off here but I'd say that there is a vacuum leak probably in the exhaust manifold.
How do you have a Vac leak in the Exhaust Manifold????:D

Jack is kinda right, look for a SEVERE vac leak. :D

Joe
Absolute Offroad

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
How do you have a Vac leak in the Exhaust Manifold????:D

Jack is kinda right, look for a SEVERE vac leak. :D

Joe
Absolute Offroad
Okay cowboy, looking back at my post I realize I should've put the crack pipe down while typing. :D

What I meant was that it sounds like the exhaust manifold isn't completely sealed. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The manifold is stock but all new gaskets with a new head. All bolts are tourqed to specs and the man went on smooth but alot of stuff has been rewired. The linkage is pretty clean. So is it possible I have volts on the choke wire or vice-versa.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Think of a engine as a big air pump, It needs air and fuel to run at a higher rpm. When it gets more air it will run faster thats the job of the carb. Have you checked if the throttle blades in the carb are pritty much closed?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sometimes hindsight makes you fell pretty stupid

Throtle linkage was the problem after all. It was hooked up right but a flange piece was slipping and moving in the way of the linkage and keeping it from releaseing back down to idle. Just working on it by myself I wasn't able to see the slipage. Anyways THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT EVERYONE (maybe well pass on the trail)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Throtle linkage was the problem after all. It was hooked up right but a flange piece was slipping and moving in the way of the linkage and keeping it from releaseing back down to idle. Just working on it by myself I wasn't able to see the slipage. Anyways THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT EVERYONE (maybe well pass on the trail)
Don't feel stupid! We have all made simple mistakes in our lives. One rule of thumb to follow which may save you a lot of trouble is this: Think simple! You will get a lot of advice about the most complicated things, but the problem is usually some dumb little thing. I once changed out a perfectly good starter when the real problem was a loose connection at the distribution block on the firewall. Didn't find it until after the new starter wouldn't work either. Go slow, think simple, and have a beer. Works every time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts