Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i noticed the other day that my 91' yj stick shift will run with no key in it, well that didnt bother me much, but today i realised it will start without the key in it (not talkin bout popin the clutch) i mean the place u put the key, will turn and crank the engine without the key in it.....this bothers me, whats the deal with that? any1 know how to fix it? thanks in advanced

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
rebelBullDawg325 said:
hey, i noticed the other day that my 91' yj stick shift will run with no key in it, well that didnt bother me much, but today i realised it will start without the key in it (not talkin bout popin the clutch) i mean the place u put the key, will turn and crank the engine without the key in it.....this bothers me, whats the deal with that? any1 know how to fix it? thanks in advanced
how did you find that out...what did you stick in there to figure out it would turn without the key? my ex girlfriends dad had a cherokee that would continue running even if you took the key out

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
bigjeep said:
how did you find that out...what did you stick in there to figure out it would turn without the key? my ex girlfriends dad had a cherokee that would continue running even if you took the key out
Do you really feel like you need to know the answers to any of your questions here? What did you stick in there? Good grief!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
bigjeep said:
lol well good grief WHAT DID HE STICK IN THERE? :D
To further edify your endless search for knowledge, a YJ has tabs on either side of the key hole. Therefore, nothing is required to stick in the key hole, to turn the ignition switch on, if the tumblers for the key, are worn out. The key fits between the tabs, and even if the tumblers work correctly, you would, with the key in the ignition, turn it on by, twisting the tabs with your thumb, and forefinger. Thus concludes another FYI seminar, brought to you free, from those who know........lol :D

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
I agree with bluvikng ^^^^^ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
bluvikng said:
To further edify your endless search for knowledge, a YJ has tabs on either side of the key hole. Therefore, nothing is required to stick in the key hole, to turn the ignition switch on, if the tumblers for the key, are worn out. The key fits between the tabs, and even if the tumblers work correctly, you would, with the key in the ignition, turn it on by, twisting the tabs with your thumb, and forefinger. Thus concludes another FYI seminar, brought to you free, from those who know........lol :D
hmm thanks

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was rdown the road and my friend pulled my key out to see if it would still run, and it did. so when i parked, i turned it off, pulled the key out, and tried cranking it ( with them big tabs) and she cranked right up...... so bluvikng..... are you saying this happens regardless of weather or not the ignition is worn out? or cna i replace the ignition and it'l be fine?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
rebelBullDawg325 said:
i was rdown the road and my friend pulled my key out to see if it would still run, and it did. so when i parked, i turned it off, pulled the key out, and tried cranking it ( with them big tabs) and she cranked right up...... so bluvikng..... are you saying this happens regardless of weather or not the ignition is worn out? or cna i replace the ignition and it'l be fine?
As amerijeep said, your ignition is worn out. The tumblers are shot. If you would like to start it with a key, then just replace the ignition switch on your steering column, and all will return to normal.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so, yall can all laugh.... i wasnt "locking" the ignition by pushing down the button, then pullin the key back

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1991 Wrangler thats doing the same thing. It starts even if there is no key. Does anyone have a part number for the 1991 Wrangler for the ignition cylinder? I want this problem fixed. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
theres a little lever next to the ignition, just push it down and turn your key BACK a 1/4 turn. You will hear a click and it will lock the ignition and steer wheel lol I just do that before I get out so none of my friends steal my Jeep lol.
Have fun Jeepin

·
Registered
259 Posts
so, yall can all laugh.... i wasnt "locking" the ignition by pushing down the button, then pullin the key back
You shouldn't be able to remove the key until you push the lever down. You likely still have worn parts causing that as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was using a key that I found in the glove box as a spare key until one day it wouldn't start the thing.... called locksmith to replace the thing and found out I had been using a key made for a Chevy that was totally different than what I was supposed to have. It had worked for over a month before it just decided not to anymore...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ignition key

I have a 91 also you can start and turn off without the key. but to lock and unlock steering wheel the key has to be in. I like this because I tow Mine and leave the steering wheel unlocked. My yj is also equiped wiyh a electrical Interlock which disables the electrical system. which I activate every time I am not in the vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts