Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling a car privately. All of the auto tags places as well as new car sales are in mandatory shut down due to COVID19 with no opening date posted.

Any idea how I would go about selling a car and transferring the title when the needed places are closed?

I bought a car 3 weeks ago and now need to sell it. I didn't transfer the title or register the car (not thinking the DMV/auto tag places would be shut down) and now I have the title signed over to me (it's out of state) and a notarized BOS. So the title is still out of state and i haven't started the process yet. Am I "stuck" with this car till the DMV opens and i can have the title transferred into my name and then I can sell it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm in a similar boat with my RV, in the process of selling it but trying to figure out the details. There may be some electronic way to do it. I would reach out to the PA DMV, give them a call and see if they can give you any direction. If you hear anything let me know. I'm not 100% go on my sale, so I haven't looked much further at this point.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Selling a car privately. All of the auto tags places as well as new car sales are in mandatory shut down due to COVID19 with no opening date posted.

Any idea how I would go about selling a car and transferring the title when the needed places are closed?

I bought a car 3 weeks ago and now need to sell it. I didn't transfer the title or register the car (not thinking the DMV/auto tag places would be shut down) and now I have the title signed over to me (it's out of state) and a notarized BOS. So the title is still out of state and i haven't started the process yet. Am I "stuck" with this car till the DMV opens and i can have the title transferred into my name and then I can sell it?
Suggest check the information on this site: Coronavirus
Good Luck, help others post an update on your success.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Suggest check the information on this site: Coronavirus
Good Luck, help others post an update on your success.

I note that the link did not come thru.. Google PA. DMV .. Home page scroll down to the RED section on coronavirus
you can now find their operational processes. This is the site link...www.penndot.gov/pages/coronavirus.aspx

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I suspected and really knew, the State of PA is closed for all non essential business. Called PA DMV and they confirmed there is no way to buy a car, transfer a title, etc. Even the main office in Harrisburg is closed with no opening date mentioned.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Not sure what PA is doing but IN has offered a free pass on any licenses, registrations, etc. until this is over. So normally by law here, if you buy a vehicle you can run a plate on it you had from a previous vehicle for up to 30 days as long as you keep the bill of sale with you to show you bought it within the last 30 days. Right now you could do it indefinitely until this clears up. Also law enforcement is not to take any actions on those type of violations and are only taking enforcement action in extreme situations, DUI's, reckless driving, etc. not equipment and licensing/registration violations.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feel your pain. bought my jeep march 30th in Illinois....I live in Wisconsin. the title story has changed a few times. first they had to wait for my check to clear. they they had to pay it off so they could get a title. now they need to transfer it to themselves first. now they keep telling me they are unable to transfer the title to themselves. they need to do that because it is a new jersey title with 1 reassignment on the back. so need to title it to themselves before they can transfer it to me. my 30 day temp tag expired yesterday and they won't issue me a new one either. Illinois DMV is closed for in person but they still accept things by mail but dealership is telling me they cant do that because the 'state is closed'. last week they tell me the 'Secretary of state(DMV) sent them a letter that they are opening back up so they can send it in and hopefully get me a title soon...I have talked to people and illinois is over a month behind on that stuff. so I have had this thing over a month, made a payment, insurance company gave me a hard time over insuring it because its not in my name but eventually covered it, I bought accessories for it that i'm not installing, and it now has a check engine light for some semi serious work that i'm not doing until I have a title in my hand. so the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned(and i've probably had over 200) and I cant even use it.....well OK i'm still driving it actually so that's not totally true but you know what I mean. I just think there is something else going on or why would they let any dealership be open now. currently waiting on a call back from the "secretary of state police" in Illinois about it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just picked up my new Rubicon Unlimited yesterday here in PA. General Manager and I did the paperwork, that could not be done on line, copies of paperwork and D/L needed. The actual "dealing" was done via email, much of the paperwork was done online, including finance paperwork. He and I wore gloves, masks and glasses. Jeeps my trade and the new were outside in the sun. He stood 6'+ away and reviewed the electronics, radio and phone. After buying M/V's since 1965, this was the strangest purchase, in fact I did not test drive the 2020, before I picked up. I had driven a 2020 prior to the virus. But when I drove off the lot, it was much more than my 2017 Sahara Unlimited. Much more!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts