Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, right now I've running 35x12.5x15's and it's time for new tires. My question is I need tires and I'm trying to find the best tires for daily driving. I have Goodyear MT/R Kevlar and withnless then 25k miles they are gone. I do 99% street driving.

Would going to a 33 tire help? I don't want to spend 250 dollars tire. 150-200 would be preferred.

So what are my options? Jeep has a loft on it as well so clearance isn't an issue.

15 inch rims is a limiting factor, but I do have a set of 17 inch Rubicon wheels I could get new tires for as well.

Any suggestions? I need them to be good on the road and not too loud.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not sure about the MT but Toyo Open County AT have been one of the best tires I put on my F150. Issue is the size will not matter between the 35 or 33 its the construction and use. If you are on the street then they are going to wear fast.
Any thoughts of going with an AT ?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,001 Posts
I would use your 17' Rubicon wheels and go with 285/70R/17' tires.

1. Goodyear Duratrac.

2. BFG KO2's.

3. Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

All three of these will be good on highway, relatively quiet, but can still be used off road. Quality Tires..

Pricing is going to be your challenge. Shop price and see where you can get the best deal on which one.

There are always cheaper tires, but then you have the noise and longevity concern.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
What are you geared?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Hey guys, right now I've running 35x12.5x15's and it's time for new tires. My question is I need tires and I'm trying to find the best tires for daily driving. I have Goodyear MT/R Kevlar and withnless then 25k miles they are gone. I do 99% street driving.

Would going to a 33 tire help? I don't want to spend 250 dollars tire. 150-200 would be preferred.

So what are my options? Jeep has a loft on it as well so clearance isn't an issue.

15 inch rims is a limiting factor, but I do have a set of 17 inch Rubicon wheels I could get new tires for as well.

All terrains should be quieter then mud tires. 35s have ~6% more rubber than 33s so should last ~6% longer all things being equal.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Going with a different tire all things will not be equal thus the 6% rule probably won't apply

Going with a different tire that's more street oriented will give you quieter ride and longer life

Nitto terra grappler has a 50k warranty and is suppose to be very quiet

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Going with a different tire all things will not be equal thus the 6% rule probably won't apply
Yea I know, but I am not a genius and don't know how to do the calculations. That is why I said "all things equal" meaning he is not "going with a different tire". :rolleyes: Even if it is not 6% or 5% or 4%, a bigger diameter tire of the same tread will have a bigger circumference and hence more rubber and hence longer life. The concept still holds true, so to the OP, a smaller diameter tire of the same type, will not give you longer life.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Hey guys, right now I've running 35x12.5x15's and it's time for new tires.

Would going to a 33 tire help?
So what are my options?

This is an AT v MT question NOT a 33" v 35" question.
Original post edited for simplicity. :) Happy New Year

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I swear by Yokohama Geolandar's. Either the older A/T-S or the newer and better G015. They are awesome in all conditions, float on beach sand, LIGHTWEIGHT, quiet, last a long time, and really don't cost much.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The smittybilt flares really open up the wheel well so I would stick with 35s. noise level and wear will be about the same with both sizes when comparing the same tire.

If you prefer to stick with an MT my suggestions are:

Mastercraft MXT
Pro Comp Extreme MT2

Both are very fairly priced. Quiet on road. Look aggressive. You will have to check their websites for sizing.

The 3 most popular AT tires have already been listed so I will list a few others that will meet your needs but lower priced:

Kanati Trail Hog similar to Duratrac
General Grabber AT similar to BFG KO2
Pro Comp AT Sport
Falken Wildpeak AT/3W

·
Registered
868 Posts

SXR311,
The factory MTRs, like just about any mud tire, will quite soon, become louder and louder as they progressively wear. A mud tire is good for primarily one thing, MUD! If you plan on playing in mud, on a regular basis, then a mud tire is what you want. Nothing beats them.

But, if you NEVER plan on playing in mud or, don't live in a muddy scenario, i.e. farm, in the country with long dirt roads to town etc, then a mud tire is absolutely WORTHLESS! All they do is make noise and wear bad.
An "A/T" or, All terrain is what you want. And, a PURE "All Terrain" is also what you want IF you want MAXIMUM quietness. As you can see and read, there's lots of choices for pure A/Ts.

I've been running the Hancook Dynapro A/Ts now on several vehicles and two Jeeps for quite a while. They're seriously quiet, wear exceptionally well and, my Jeeps go wear I point them, regardless of the terrain, unless it's MUD, then I don't point them there, period.

And talk about SMOOTH!!!! It don't get any smoother, especially in a JEEP. There are some that may think their Jeep is not MANLY looking unless it's got some sort of "Road Warrior" look with the most bad-a$$ mud terrains on it. Well, if that's one's goal, then surely have at it. We, like you, do about 90% street driving and, 10% off roading with this present Jeep. I've had my share of mud tires and A/Ts. I will never, ever go with M/Ts again. They're simply not in the game plan for us and our travels.

As for size, economics and wear between a 33" and a 35" are absolutely minimal. We've had both, on several different Jeeps and, in all reality, for the duration of tread life and cost per mile of operating either size, is almost identical. For an average person, driving a Jeep on an average daily/weekly/monthly drive, to and from work and fun excursions, there will be very little noticeable differences.

If you were a grand prix driver, or NASCAR driver, sure, you can tell micro differences in any and all tires that you use. But, a Jeep driver, on a daily basis, between A/Ts, it's not all that noticeable. Between M/Ts and A/Ts, sure as heck you can tell the differences, without a doubt. Good luck on your choice.
Scott

315 X 70 X 17 Hancook Dynapro A/T on 17" x 8" x 4.25" b/sp American Racing Anson Off Road Alloy Wheels

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much that's great info. I'll look into the Hancooks if I can find them in a 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 I'll buy them. I'm limited by a 15 inch run right now. I do have 17 Rubicon's, but not sure then will look right on the Jeep and I was hoping to get them powder coated first.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mastercraft would be another tire you should check on. Not sure if they do a 15 inch but a neighbor has 315-70-17 and likes them. Ride well and cheap on the wallet.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Thanks so much that's great info. I'll look into the Hancooks if I can find them in a 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 I'll buy them. I'm limited by a 15 inch run right now. I do have 17 Rubicon's, but not sure then will look right on the Jeep and I was hoping to get them powder coated first.
Check the spec on the tires that you want to run on the Rubi wheels before you powder coat them. I am betting they are not wide enough to meet the spec for the 12.5" wide tire you want to run. If so, you may have a bit of an issue finding a tire shop that will mount them and except the risk associated with doing the out of spec install.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You might take a look at the Michelin Defenders. I have them in a 35x12.50 and they are very quiet and drive very well. Took them to the mountains a few months ago and they did very well on the rocks when aired down. Definitely not aggressive, but if you are like me and 90 plus percent of your driving is on pavement they are a great tire.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts