Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

201 - 220 of 450 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,115 Posts
Here's what I don't understand: there is a list of things a mile long that have killed/will kill more people than COVID has in the last several months. Heck, this year alone CDC estimates as many as 30,000 people have died from common flu. NHTSA says over 30,000 people are killed in car crashes every year in America.

When you compare the death toll from so many other things against the death toll from COVID, what you find is that COVID is a blip on the radar.

So, why are our hospitals not already overwhelmed? We've got 400 deaths out of 300 MILLION people in the U.S. as of today, and the economy is being destroyed by panic and fear. We've got flu deaths in the tens of thousands and the only thing we hear each October is "get your flu shots boys and girls!". That's it. Nothing else.

I just don't understand. The total destruction and financial ruin that the government is causing FAR outweighs the damage that this virus is doing.

As the President put it yesterday: "We cannot let the cure become worse than the problem."

NAILED IT.
For decades economists have struggled to put a price on human human life. Since no one has been able to do it, the ongoing consensus is that human life is “priceless.”

The measures to control this pandemic are having such a devastating effect on the economy, that it is forcing us, collectively, to revisit this question with incredible urgency.

The question we face right now is: should we try to save as many lives as possible, as has been our standard reaction? Or, should we try to save the world economy?

The answer to this question is as personal as the choices stark. If you happen to be in a high risk group, or have loved ones at risk, you may tend to side with the former. If you happen to be in a low risk group, or in your 20s, looking at your whole life ahead of you, you may tend to side with the latter.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
So, my company was deemed essential infrastructure, and some of us were encouraged to work from home "if possible". However, my department actually works on our products, research and development, thus we need to be working on the products in order to do our jobs. No big deal.

Despite all this mayhem/panic, my state is under a stay at home order unless you are essential to the infrastructure. This brings up much disgust to my coworkers that they could be elsewhere.

I guess, yes, there are places I would rather be, with my family, Jeeping, etc. but we really should be thankful that we are still employed, and at this point can still expect a relatively steady income.

I have empathy for those that are struggling because hardly a year ago, I was in a similar boat. Last year, I was unemployed, mortgage, car payments, baby, I get it a bit more now. I feel I can relate more (even though I would consider myself a bit odd at times, haha).

Just keep reaching out to people and making sure we're all doing well physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, etc. These are the times we're going to need each other.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I’m on blood pressure meds, but I didn’t see anything on the list about those; I’d definitely check.
Zen, I did some checking today. I went down my entire list of meds with a pre-qualifying person at American Red Cross. She mentioned that they changed the med list every now and then. Right now I am still good so I am scheduling with a local chapter to donate.

Thanks for the heads up. Back in the vampire business again!

Just a heads up. They are very busy today will a lot of calls and Internet traffic. I was able to schedule a donation on 3/30.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Zen, I did some checking today. I went down my entire list of meds with a pre-qualifying person at American Red Cross. She mentioned that they changed the med list every now and then. Right now I am still good so I am scheduling with a local chapter to donate.

Thanks for the heads up. Back in the vampire business again!

Just a heads up. They are very busy today will a lot of calls and Internet traffic. I was able to schedule a donation on 3/30.
Great news Steed! Spread the word man, I've got a few other friends who weren't thinking about it to schedule as well. The more the merrier :).

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Just a heads up to my Jeep friends. I also live in other forums. From my screen name you can decipher a bit. There has been a run on guns and ammo. If you choose to defend your home and family please make sure you have ammo and guns that work. I have not seen many reports yet of home break-ins but I have seen increased reports of car theft and street robbery. The bad guys don't care about social distancing.

·
Registered
490 Posts
As the President put it yesterday: "We cannot let the cure become worse than the problem."

The prez has a lot more common sense than many of those who view themselves as experts - something he has in common with Reagan

Two weeks off from work slows the spread because the incubation period is about 14-15 days - Trump will allow the first quarantine period to be four weeks so we get solid statistics on how much the spread is slowed during quarantine (or potentially containing)

This statistical baseline will allow us to proceed in the future with shorter quarantine periods - maybe 6 or 8 weeks of work followed by 2 weeks of quarantine - repeating this cycle for at least a couple years until we have corona shots

This is the new normal, but it's better than if we were to destroy society ourselves before the virus gets a chance to do it

As SG said, get outside, it helps, especially knowing this is not the end of the world

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Interesting...

Yesterday, the Los Angeles County Sheriff said his deputies were closing gun stores based on "Stay at Home" orders issued by Newsom and Garcetti...

Today, the Sheriff came on TV and said... "that's not going to happen now," citing the U.S. Constitution Second Amendment.

I think the Sheriff was relieved he didn't have to follow the Goon Squad's orders.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
If you want the real news you won't find it on main stream media. U tube has a lot of things that media would never air. Like,,Why were there so many infected in Italy. Check out the Calvary Chapel ones. Eye openers.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
In the spirit of this thread - all this time at home inspired me to ratchet up my cooking skills.

Tonight’s dinner - Seasoned Grilled Mahi-Mahi with Grilled pineapple and fresh roasted peppers. Spinach salad with homemade dressing and fresh grated parm.

Jeep projects happening as well, but thought I’d throw a curve ball in. What are you guys doing to stay sane?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Snow coming our way tonight. I had planned on grilling but it was not really nice outside. Can I come eat at your place? I noticed we didn't get a pic of the grilled Mahi-Mahi. Too delicious and precious to stop and photo. That I understand. Be safe all. Keep your chins up.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Snow coming our way tonight. I had planned on grilling but it was not really nice outside. Can I come eat at your place? I noticed we didn't get a pic of the grilled Mahi-Mahi. Too delicious and precious to stop and photo. That I understand. Be safe all. Keep your chins up.
It was under the grilled peppers and pineapple, but here it is all naked :).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Snowed last night.

My dog loves snow. I have to chase her out of the snowblower chaff all the time.

Walked her down to a local park today that she loves. She went nuts...

Snow angels? Nope, snow dog angels. She must have done ten of these on our walk.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the spirit of this thread - all this time at home inspired me to ratchet up my cooking skills.

Tonight’s dinner - Seasoned Grilled Mahi-Mahi with Grilled pineapple and fresh roasted peppers. Spinach salad with homemade dressing and fresh grated parm.

Jeep projects happening as well, but thought I’d throw a curve ball in. What are you guys doing to stay sane?

First sunrider open of the season! Ran out to grab lunch (& support a local restaurant that doesn’t have a drive through and has been struggling). It’s finally warm and and sunny !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts

First sunrider open of the season! Ran out to grab lunch (& support a local restaurant that doesn’t have a drive through and has been struggling). It’s finally warm and and sunny !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome - The sun is out, the world is still turning, and you are supporting your local economy (with your little guy). Good for you!

201 - 220 of 450 Posts