Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a steel horse top, and full metal doors yesterday. I basically got the top for free based on the price doors are going for these days, and the fitment of the top actually is pretty good, even though reviews online says it fits like crap might be because im using metal full doors.

Some things that are odd about it. there is no on the front for cliping to footmans on the windshield. I ordered 3 of these, but am not sure how i would install the latch to the top. Is there a screw that is safe for screwing into fiberglass. It does have 2 mounts in the front, but they latch to the roll bar where it meets the windshield, but it seems like there should be some actually latching to the windshield frame.

Next there is no seal. I found a kit saying its a windshield frame/corner kit, and center for hardtops on amazon. This has 2 corner seals, and 1 that looks like a long tube and is not adhesive. is the the correct seals that I need? IMO, the top looks like it would need a flat weather strip type seal, not a tube. Is there any reason why i could not just use some 1/4" rubber hose in place of the tube? And how would i even get this tube seal to stay put long enough to put the top over it?

next question. This top had 4 alignment studs on the bottom. 1 of them is missing. Do any of you guy know where i can get a replacement, or if these holes would be threaded?

thanks!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sometimes the seals can make the top not sit as tight as it should. So add seals carefully. The tops seal up pretty good without added weatherstips and all. My JK hard tops have some, but it's not much. My YJ has some where needed, but I don't add anything along the top of windshield other than at the corner with the OEM original rubber inserts.

The corner seals you see online won't fit your top. They're for the OEM top.

The alignment pins - the OEM top has 4 bolts through the tub on each side. I think the Steal Horse tops have a wood insert along the bottom. (OEM tops are all fiberglass) I've seen videos on Youtube for those Steal Horse top repairs. Might help.

Yes, you can drill and screw into fiberglass. The latches are nice. But if the original system still works, I'd go with that. Drilling aged fiberglass from Steal Horse sounds risky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts