Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm about to build a swing down tire carrier for my YJ. I'm thinking of using 1.75" or 2" square tubing. What wall thickness would you use? I'm thinking 3/16". Thanks

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about 1/8", but I figured it'd be too thin. Especially holding up a 35" tire.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I would say 3/16 min., but would try to use 1/4. IMHO

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm tying into the bumper that I have now, which is 1/4". I'm just building the part that swings down, so I don't think I'd need 1/4". That'd be really heavy. I was thinking 3/16" but 1/8" might work.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Overkill is nice.. but even an engine hoist isn't built with that heavy a material. We have an extremely heavy hoist at work rated for 7k lbs and its made with 3/16 material.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
any even halfass welder shouldn't have a problem with 1/8 inch steel
I've seen some dumbasses cut through some pretty thick steel. If he burns through it half way he's left with sheet metal :rofl:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. If it ends up that I can't weld it, I know a few people that can. And 1/8 will save me some money.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've seen some dumbasses cut through some pretty thick steel. If he burns through it half way he's left with sheet metal :rofl:
Yeah, so have I. I grew up in a body shop, so I'm used to thin metal. So what O.D. would you guys recommend? Would 1.75" or 2" be better?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, that's what I'll use. Now what size bolts/pins should I use for hinges? I had the idea to use 5/8" ones because I could use hitch pins. They'd be more than strong enough, right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
0.95 thick 2in tubing should be more than strong enough. At work we use that to mount 120gal water tanks in vans, with no issues. I would reinforce where the hinge pins go with 1/8in bar, top and bottom, that will be the weakest part. For the hinge pins I would go with 1/2in, just because there are a lot of 1/2in unibits that will drill threw it faster than a regular bit will with no pilot hole needed. Or if you want you could drill 1/2 holes and use 3/8 bronze or brass bushings to make it swing easy.

That is the best thing of fabricating your own parts. You get exactly what you want and no one else has one exactly like it.

Best of luck

Jeremy

ASE Master Auto Tech

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'm going to use YJ spring bushings for the hinge bushings, then use 1/2" pins for the top 2 hinges and 1/2" grade 8 bolts for the bottom 2 hinges since they don't need to come out as easy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
main bumper should be at least 3/16 thickness, and the swing-out can be built out of 1/8 wall. that would be strong enough hold a 35 inch tire with no problem
just add some gussets in certain spots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts