Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Looking to up to 33's but want to do away with my 1.5" spacers. I found the new Tactik Circle 8 steel wheel with 4.75 backspacing for $350 for 5. Seems like a good deal. What are the downsides to steel? I know they don't really look as good but I wold assume they perform just fine right? Not looking to spend $700 on new wheels right now.

They are heavier so I would assume they would make my JKU work a little harder. I have 3.21 gears.. but that might change next year.. 4.10!

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Steel wheels are about 50% heavier than alloy. You will feel the added weight in the handling, making your Jeep feel more lumbering, and likely through the steering wheel when you hit potholes, etc.

Steel wheels are cheaper and easier to repair than alloy.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Steel wheels generally aren't as true as alloy also.

I got my 5 ProComp alloys for under $500 from 4WheelParts on a sale day...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I prefer the look of steelies, but the weight penalty sucks. On the other hand, they are more durable and repairable. It usually won't make a difference, but it it something to consider. You can hammer a steel wheel straight enough to get home on.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Check out discounttire.com / discounttiredirect.com, they are running a sale through labor day. $100 rebate on a set of 4, plus another $60 if you put it on their store card.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Both bend but aluminum only one way, but it is harder to bend at the hub. Steel can bend both at the hub and flange although flange can be straightened, usually. A bent aluminum flange generally breaks when you try and straighten if it did not initially. Steel as said is heavier and rusts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The specific rim you choose also has a significant difference in weight. Compare the actual rims you're looking at. Once you factor in the weight of the tire and increase in size, the difference will be a much smaller percent of the overall increase and still much less than what going to a larger tire size will net you. In the end, both have advantages and disadvantages, up to the individual to decide what they value more.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
The difference in weight between my 17x9 XHDs and my 17x9 Soft 8 steels is just under 6# each. Anyone who tells you they can tell any difference at all by driving these is blowing smoke up your backside. On top of that, if 6# is going to be such a mechanical detriment as to cause you to notice accelerated wear we all need to park these things and start driving something else.

Buy the cheap wheels and run them if they suit you. Hell, I have 3 sets of wheels and tires ready to run now depending on what I want to do.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Average weight of a good quality 17" alloy wheel is ~22 lbs; average weight of a 17" wheel is ~34 lbs.

If you can't feel an additional 12 lbs at each corner maybe you need a defibrillator :D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You should not feel 10lbs diff per corner unless you're drag racing the Jeep :), go for the steelies and don't sweat the weight difference, enjoy the savings.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
If you can't feel an additional 12 lbs at each corner maybe you need a defibrillator :D
I gotta call BS for the simple reason I see people on the roads every day with one or more tires nearly flat and they just keep going without the defib. People just aren't as attentive in person as they would have us believe on a forum.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The Tactik Circle 8 looks great! Alloy wheels get scratched up pretty easily if you trail it much. Steel are easier to fix and as you see, are cheaper!
I'm currently on Alloy, but when I need new tires, I'm going from my 18" alloy, to smaller Tactik ones!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts