Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the black steel "D" window wheels on my TJ. 15x8 size. I was considering changing over to a black w/polished outer ring type wheel in aluminum, on a white jeep. Any significant weight savings? I don't rock crawl, just trail driving, so I don't bash my wheels. Pros-Cons?

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
there are savings in unsprung weight, but a substantial source of weight is the tire itself.

Aside from that aspect (being able to hammer out a bad dent on a steel wheel) there isn't much impact. Aluminum will oxidize & pit, but not rust - if that's a concern.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running 33" Duratracs, so it's gonna be heavy either way. I was just looking at the ATX Slot wheels in black. I think these might look good on my white jeep, and they're not too pricey. ??

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
DuraTracs are light. Aluminum wheels for sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, after trying to pick up my mounted spare to put on the rear carrier, I'm thinking lighter could be better. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had steel wheels and now have a set of used aluminum wheels. They have lived a hard life off road but I got them free. They cleaned up nicely but as said above they have pitted. I am using them off road anyway and actually like they way they look.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm on the fence on this topic right now. Some many choices is the problem. Less weight is good for an already heavy Jeep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts