Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much self argument, I've finaly figured out which size tire I want to get. Next question is the rims. I see a lot of Jeeps with the black rims that are a very simple rim. Nothing goddy or too special. I havnt found any jeep rims like that in alloys. Are they just simple steel rims? Or does somewhere sell simple alloys?

·
Super Moderator
15,454 Posts
Check out the Mammoth 8's from Extreme Terrain. Very simple and clean alloy wheel with holes and the 16x8 with 4.5" back spacing is $99 which is an incredible value.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those arent too bad looking. $99 is reaaaaaal attractive

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Steel weighs more than alloy but from the research I've done the weight of the wheel isn't a big of a factor as the weight of tire. This is because the wheel weight is close to center but the tire is farther away. Having a larger mass away from the center is where you'll notice the most impact.

I'm sure someone else could explain the physics better than that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Physic aside, I went with alloys because of the weight. Nothing to do with rotational inertia, but with my ability to lift them. With alloys I am at 98 pounds a corner. With steel wheels it would have been about 120. God help me if my wife needs to change a tire. She will get the spare off the carrier, but the flat will need to be left on the side of the road. Check the weight specs and take that into account. I can just barely put a tire/wheel onto the spare carrier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts