Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a small quarter size dip under my tranny. Looked under and my skid plate was moist. When I'm in first gear starting out or turning very slow I hear a screaming sound? Any ideas? It's a manual transmission ? (Side note, just had new gears put in a week again and had my oil changed)

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
How many miles? Sounds like it's time to have your tranny rebuilt.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
102,000 I went and got some 75w90 and going to change the fluid tomorrow. Any idea what it might be?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
When you change the oil, make sure to look for metal debris in the oil or magnet. This could be a sign of problems inside the transmission.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never changed fluid on a manual tranny, when I take off the drain plug do I just look and see if shavings are in the fluid? Or put my pinky in there an see ? ::that's what she said::

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
The drain plug is magnetic, so check if there are chunks of metal clinging to the drain plug.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
What 75W-90 gear lube did you buy? If it's a GL-5, be aware that most GL-5 75W-90 gear lubes are inappropriate for our transmissions. Only some GL-5 75W-90 gear lubes like from Royal Purple are acceptable. Run-of-the-mill GL-5 gear lubes like sold by the autoparts stores are not the kind that work well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Haven't used Advanced personally, but I'm kind of a snob when it comes to the fluids in my vehicles... Royal Purple all the way.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone herd of it making the noise because of a break in period for my new gears, and it echoing to my skid plate an that's why I hear it by my transmission? My gears shift smoothly

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
Mopar said they changed it to 10w30 for my trans so looks like another trip to the store
For AX5 and AX15 transmissions, synthetic 10W-30 is another acceptable lubricant. 10W-30 motor oil viscosity is roughly equivilent to 75W-90 gear lube. Motor oils and gear lubes are measured on two different viscosity scales.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts