Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seemed to have bent my stock steering stabilizer and need to replace it. I'm looking for suggestions. I want to upgrade a little from OEM. I was looking at
one from FOX

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/stabilizers/1980986-teraflex-tuned-fox-racing-shox-steering-stabilizer

Is it over kill?
I have a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock with a Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel lift. I'm running Cooper STT Discoverer Pros 315 70R/17 on stock wheels with
1 1/2" spacers.

The hardest trails I've done so far are Chinaman Gulch, Eagle Rock, Saran Wrap and Top of the World.
I like to wheel but also need some stabilization on the road..
Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Like others said avoid gas charged if your jeep drives straight. That said, if your axle was built on a Friday and the caster is more drivers side than passenger side it will induce a pull to the right (some do) then a gas charged can offset that and get you closer to straight without a cut and turn to deal with the crown in the road.(applies to USA and other countries that drive on the same side of the road.)

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I have a Fox 985-24-145 2.0 Performance Series IFP Steering Stabilizer. No pull on my JKU whatsoever and I had no pull before install. I have run factory, no stabilizer, and the Fox. It's definitely a little better with the Fox, but I have a Fusion4x4 tie rod and drag link and PSC XDR2 gear box, so I really don't even need the stabilizer.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16335_2002.htm

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are all great responses thank you! I definitely do not want to create a pool and my steering wheel to the left. I would love for it to be more stable going over crowns in the road surface. This stock stabilizer it’s supposed to be able to handle up to 37 inch tires from what I hear.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Sadly not much can be done about large wide tires vs ruts, they will catch and pull a bit. How much is really a product of the amount of give in the tire/side wall flex, for example running sub 30psi will often perform better than 35psi in that department. The steering stabilizer deals more with bleeding energy out of oscillations the same way as shocks do.

Just an observational point. The stiffer the steering stabilizer the harder it is to turn the wheel and thus puts more stress on the steering box and sector shaft.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
You really don't need anything better than the stock one. If you are set up right, you don't need one at all.

I just went with a $35 Procomp stabilizer. It does just fine. Didn't see the need to spend any more than that.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
I agree that a cheap SS is typically all that is needed. But I do like the yellow OME unit, it is relatively cheap and I like yellow. I also like the kit they offer that moves the SS up a little.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I agree that a cheap SS is typically all that is needed. But I do like the yellow OME unit, it is relatively cheap and I like yellow. I also like the kit they offer that moves the SS up a little.

That’s also why I got the Fox, because I liked the silver color. My Jeep is Silver and my tie rod is aluminum. People buy all sorts of stuff for their Jeep for looks and that’s a good enough reason for me to buy something (like I needed an excuse, lol). I can tell a difference with the stabilizer vs. no stabilizer in certain situations, but for the most part it is very slight.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You really don't need anything better than the stock one. If you are set up right, you don't need one at all.

I just went with a $35 Procomp stabilizer. It does just fine. Didn't see the need to spend any more than that.
I politely disagree with you. The SS does have a functionality, even in a perfect setup. A stock jeep is setup right from factory and it has one.

The steering stabilizer's primary function is to dampen or stabilize the side to side movement of the wheels in much the same way shock absorbers limiting excessive suspension movement & oscillation.

Most people with the adjustable Falcon or Fox set it stiff for highway and city driving and soft for the trails. It does make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
That’s also why I got the Fox, because I liked the silver color. My Jeep is Silver and my tie rod is aluminum. People buy all sorts of stuff for their Jeep for looks and that’s a good enough reason for me to buy something (like I needed an excuse, lol). I can tell a difference with the stabilizer vs. no stabilizer in certain situations, but for the most part it is very slight.
I totally agree. I completely understand. If brand "X" comes in the color you like and it meets functional requirements, by all means go with the brand that comes in the color you like. If it functions adequately and looks good, that is what counts. In the end, your Jeep is your Jeep and my Jeep is my Jeep (well, actually my Jeep is the wife's Jeep, and in the end it is up to her not me). Everyone should build their Jeep the way they want it to be. If someone asks for advice, I give it. But if they don't listen, if they go a different way than I would, I don't care. I got no skin in that game. It is all good.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I politely disagree with you. The SS does have a functionality, even in a perfect setup. A stock jeep is setup right from factory and it has one.

The steering stabilizer's primary function is to dampen or stabilize the side to side movement of the wheels in much the same way shock absorbers limiting excessive suspension movement & oscillation.

Most people with the adjustable Falcon or Fox set it stiff for highway and city driving and soft for the trails. It does make a difference.
It all depends on the particular Jeep and the driver. I drove around with a destroyed (Rocks took it out) stock stabilizer for several months, really had no difference in streetability. I can see tuning shocks for street or trail, a steering stabilizer? No, I don't see it.

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. If you believe buying a Fox or Falcon steering stabilizer is going to help, then go for it. I can tell you in my experience, the stock one is more than enough.

I will say that those who believe that a steering stabilizer is going to fix DW, then I have some swampland in FL I want to talk to you about.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
I have way more experience with steering stabilizers on motorcycles than I do with them on Jeeps. But I think the functionality is much the same.
First and foremost, there is the aspect of "feel". Some people simply prefer the feel that the steering damper or steering stabilizer imparts.
Then there are some vehicles that simply aren't the most stable and they actually do handle / drive better with one. I had a TZ 250 racebike that was near impossible to ride without one. The bike was so quick steering and light that it was not rideable without one.
Then there is how tiring the vehicle is to operate. For example, on my KTM 440 dirtbike I would ride it really fast over rough terrain. I could ride it just as fast without one, but over time I would get really tired. The SS made it much easier to ride fast over rough terrain. That made it more enjoyable.
I agree that a well set up Jeep should be perfectly drive-able without one. If not, something is likely wrong. But that does not mean you don't want one. You may, depending on your tastes and how / where you drive the Jeep.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm running the Bilstein 5100. Not to expensive and works like it should. I don't feel any excessive pushing from the stabilizer. If I let go of the steering wheel mine stays perfectly straight.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
If you like red, the Metalcloak Rocksport kit also has a mount that moves the stabilizer up and out of harms way... This is actually more important than the stabilizer itself.

I do run the Bilstein because I have the stupid built on Friday afternoon axle where the caster is higher on the drivers side than the passenger side so I have an inherent right pull. The gas charged Bilstein took almost all of it out. More often than not, a gas stabilizer causes a left pull.

https://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangler-Rocksport-Steering-Stabilizer-p/7133.htm

·
Registered
584 Posts
It all depends on the particular Jeep and the driver. I drove around with a destroyed (Rocks took it out) stock stabilizer for several months, really had no difference in streetability. I can see tuning shocks for street or trail, a steering stabilizer? No, I don't see it.

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. If you believe buying a Fox or Falcon steering stabilizer is going to help, then go for it. I can tell you in my experience, the stock one is more than enough.

I will say that those who believe that a steering stabilizer is going to fix DW, then I have some swampland in FL I want to talk to you about.
Funny thing, everything you mention is 100% correct and of course I fully agree with you, I never mentioned that a SS will fix anything (quote?), I just posted what it does. Somehow you think I disagree with you, but I don't.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts