Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a brand new stock 2015 JKU. I noticed that when I would go down the highway that the steering is turned to the right when I am physical going straight. Basically my steering wheels "synced" with the tires if that makes sense. So I call the dealer and they realigned it for free since it only had 1000 mile. So I drove it noticed it still did the same thing. Thinking it was in my head I got a friend to drive it and they noticed the same thing. I'm going to call the dealer again and get this fixed anyone have any ideas what it is. Also the jeep does pull to the right as well

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Steering wheel centering is easily done by adjusting the threaded coupling on the drag link. Loosen 2 easily accessible clamping bolts, twist the coupling to center the wheel and re tighten the clamping bolts. Keep track of your twists and the steering wheel position - it may take a few adjustments until you are satisfied.

Now - all that has nothing to do with your jeep pulling. Pulling is going to be related to other alignment issues.

Your post says its stock. Is there any dealer mods?

Something is wrong if s factory stock jeep is pulling. I'd crawl around and look for transport damage - then take it in for a full alignment. Ask for before and after print out.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Okay, so as previously mentioned, your symptoms seem to indicate two separate issues. They should obviously be dealt with under warranty, but here's basically what happens.

1. Centering the steering wheel is a simple adjustment of the drag link. This is the bar that goes from the steering gearbox to the tie rod. If you look under the front end you can see what I'm talking about. The drag link is actually two pieces that are joined in the middle by a threaded sleeve that has a couple of pinch bolts to hold it in place. To adjust, you make sure the front end is pointed straight ahead, loosen the bolts and rotate the sleeve to make the link longer or shorter, which will reclock the steering wheel.

2. If the jeep is pulling to the right, It could be a front end alignment. However, if it's just sort of gradually drifting to the outside of the road, it could also be that the alignment is fine and it's just following the natural camber of the road. Most roads are tilted to the outside edges for water drainage and you don't notice it nearly as much on cars with little tires, so depending on what sort of car you're coming from, you may just be seeing what happens when you go to something with big tires vs a little sedan.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but have you checked the tire pressure? If one front tire is significantly lower than the other, that can cause it to want to drift to one side.

An alignment should tell you one way or another.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fir the pulling, the first thing to check is the tire pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts