Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
steering attenuator was the worst thing i ever did to my jeep and couldn't take it off soon enough, and am so glad i didn't drive off a 1000 ft cliff because of it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I put on a SA along with a new DL and TR a couple of weekends before going to Ouray. At about 1000 miles with the new SA, it crapped out. There would be 30 degrees of play in my steering wheel. You could be turning right while your wheels are still pointed left. This happened after running Mineral Basin with my wife and 1 & 4 y/o kids, so I wasn't abusing it. Coming back on the Million Dollar highway I had the fun of having my wheels going different directions than my steering. If you are not familiar with the MDH, there is no guard rail, 8" shoulder and 1000 foot drop.

It was a popular brand from a forum vendor, and I'm not here to bash anyone, just posting my experience. That cushy attenuator is nice now, but when it fails your steering will suck.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put on a SA along with a new DL and TR a couple of weekends before going to Ouray. At about 1000 miles with the new SA, it crapped out. There would be 30 degrees of play in my steering wheel. You could be turning right while your wheels are still pointed left. This happened after running Mineral Basin with my wife and 1 & 4 y/o kids, so I wasn't abusing it. Coming back on the Million Dollar highway I had the fun of having my wheels going different directions than my steering. If you are not familiar with the MDH, there is no guard rail, 8" shoulder and 1000 foot drop.

It was a popular brand from a forum vendor, and I'm not here to bash anyone, just posting my experience. That cushy attenuator is nice now, but when it fails your steering will suck.
Thanks for the heads-up. I`ll have to keep the OEM in the Jeep.

·
Super Moderator
5,138 Posts
They have two versions, the smaller one and the bigger one. Every one I have heard of with a problem had the bigger one. I have the smaller one and so far it is working well. But it is a good idea on trips to carry parts to replace it back to standard. It is easy enough to do if you have the parts.
I can understand someone being unhappy after a bad experience. My sister in-law had hers fail (larger one). But she was still a fan and wanted it back after Steer Smart replaced it. But dealing with Steer Smart on the replacement was not a good experience for them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mine took a dump at 16 months. I bought new in box from another member so they wouldn’t replace it. I did like the product but was told it possibly failed due to off road use or too large of tire. I don’t off-road and I have 35” tires which is not all that uncommon as a daily driver. My synergy drag link got here yesterday.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Mine took a dump at 16 months. I bought new in box from another member so they wouldn’t replace it. I did like the product but was told it possibly failed due to off road use or too large of tire. I don’t off-road and I have 35” tires which is not all that uncommon as a daily driver. My synergy drag link got here yesterday.
Out of curiosity....why didn't you buy the center section that replaces the attenuator? Just done with SS or?

And on a side note what is the BMC in your name reference to?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Out of curiosity....why didn't you buy the center section that replaces the attenuator? Just done with SS or?

And on a side note what is the BMC in your name reference to?
The center section is what failed. I was told it was most likely the bearings inside? I just decided to go with a solid drag link instead. I hope that answered your question? BMC is just my initials. Really creative. Lol.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Let me know what you think about the synergy DL. I am needing one and going back between metal cloak and synergy. I saw a post, that a member could not get his synergy link to stay tight at the adjuster sleeve. Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Let me know what you think about the synergy DL. I am needing one and going back between metal cloak and synergy. I saw a post, that a member could not get his synergy link to stay tight at the adjuster sleeve. Thanks

Will do. Hopefully I get a day this week to install.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The center section is what failed. I was told it was most likely the bearings inside? I just decided to go with a solid drag link instead. I hope that answered your question? BMC is just my initials. Really creative. Lol.
I guess I should have expounded more....they have a solid center section/adjuster so you didn't have to buy a whole new bar...it's like 130....

·
Registered
683 Posts
I guess I should have expounded more....they have a solid center section/adjuster so you didn't have to buy a whole new bar...it's like 130....

might be good to pick one up and use it as a trail spare. I can say that i don't have the most faith that my xd attenuator won't fail on the trail. especially if they're saying that off roading and running 35s might cause premature failure. hahaha....

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
i never saw the point in adding a place for more steering wheel play.....

Reactions: MRBachand

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've had mine on for a few months now and honestly I haven't been able to tell a difference. Might just take it off and sell it honestly, I expected way more of a benefit for how people raved about theirs

1 - 20 of 63 Posts