Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, Finally took our 2013 JKU Rubi out crawling today. First time really out articulating in a moderately difficult rocky creek bed, and first time with new 2.5" lift and 35" tires, so I don't know if this issue existed prior. Several occasions today, while in tight spots and having to readjust my line, the steering just flat out locked up, no movement possible to one or the other direction. No rocks or anything stopping the wheels. I would have to back up, then the steering would start working again. Any known issues here? I am not lifted high enough to cause troubles, as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's mainly caused by the larger tires. Especially if you air down. The resistance on the tires is more than the power steering can handle. Slight slow motion forward or backward will allow you to turn the wheel. I have the same issue with my 35's. A ram assist would solve the problem.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I only experience this when the front axle is locked and in difficult terrain. I too run 35's and air down to 15psi. When this happens, simply unlocking the front axle will not solve the problem right away. This steering dilemma is common under these circumstances and the reason I went to hydro assist.
I have never experienced this when the front axle is not locked (not to say it cannot happen). If you were truly not locked when this occurred (then hit the button thinking it would solve it immediately), then, sounds very odd to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts