Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jacked up my Jeep the other day to make sure the Pro Comp D windows would fit and as I'm about to put it back on the ground, I notice drops of fluid on my jack. The steering box was leaking around the seal on the pitman arm shaft. After moving the jack out of the way, there is no fluid on the floor under the jack. So the leak started after I put the jack under the Jeep.

How would jacking up the jeep cause a leak in the steering box?

No, I did not jack it up by the steering box.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
If its not leaking now, I would venture to guess that lifting the jeep relieved pressure on the seal allowing a little fluid to leak out. Lowering it back down re-seated the seal on the gearshaft in the steering box resealing the box. I had a similar experience with the top side when I was tightening up the play in the steering when I first bought mine. I left it a little loose while I was adjusting/road test ... adjust. etc. and had a leak until I cranked it down when finished.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a seal kit to rebuild the steering box, or is it a replace item?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I just put new seals in the output side of a steering box last week...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put new seals in the output side of a steering box last week...
That's what I need. the output shaft seals. You got a link or part number?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No... mine were on a tj... went to autozone and bought the seal kit....

Pull your pitman arm... remove the snap ring... IMPORTANT thread the nut back onto the shaft a few turns to catch the seals and washers.... put drain pan under the box .... start engine and crank to full lock.... should blow out seals and washers (along with a lot of fluid).... keep seals and washers in order so you can put the new ones back in the correct orientation..... clean up the mess and install new stuff.... put pitman arm back on...

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's what I need. the output shaft seals. You got a link or part number?
Crown Automotive J8134568 Steering gear seal set.
That fit my 90 YJ

i also replaced the steering column bearing and shaft so i removed the box to do it all. 18mm line wrench for the hoses.

Reactions: rushwal

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Did you already tighten up the adjusting nut on the top of the steering box. They tend to loosen up a bit after a couple decades. there is a locknut on the top of the box, loosen that then you can adjust (tighten) the clearance between the worm and drive gears which will remove some of the play in the wheel. you want to tighten it till the steering wheel will return to straight when rolling. If it's too tight the wheel will want to return to center.

Then there's also the u joints in the lower steering shaft that can also contribute to your excessive play.

I just had to adjust my box and replace the cheesy lower bushing on the steering column to tighten mine up..... YMMV

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have done no adjusting yet. The rebuild videos say to not touch that nut when rebuilding. I'll check the U-joints as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting back to this post...

I did do some adjusting, but I think it's a band aid. Haven't put the new seals in yet either. I've noticed though that I have a leak around the high pressure line to the steering box.

Any brand to avoid or preferred?

I've found Crown and Omix so far.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to order an Omix-ADA.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Done. No more leaks. Replaced the high pressure line and the output shaft seals. On to the next problem... whatever it is.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Done. No more leaks. Replaced the high pressure line and the output shaft seals. On to the next problem... whatever it is.
Don't worry, It's just around the corner.:)

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
Don't worry, It's just around the corner.:)
Yep, you'll know soon enough. At least the next problem was kind enough to wait until you got the steering box leak fixed.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts