Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few days researching on here and no success I hope someone can answer this.

I am looking for a steering box from any other source that is a direct bolt in for an 06 TJ, 4.0, Auto.

It seems they changed to a mercedes box in 03 but I cannot find what vehicle in the Dodge group uses that same box.

I am not only looking for a stronger one but something less expensive that the $400 from auto parts store and $750 from the stealership and I can possibly get from the junkyard.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ooops I goofed... It is for an 05 not 06....Not my jeep so.....LOL

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I know that the dakota/durango box is an upgrade for my 97 but Im not sure if they work for the 03-06 tj.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never heard that before...my box is loose what year durango box am i looking for.does anything need to change..
Just did mine on my 97. 98 durango no snowplow form autozone, $190. Used the instructions solman mentioned. I just had to turn the wheel to get to the bolt on the steering. I know your not suppose to do it but i wasn't going to take the grill off...

Went from a sloppy steering wheel with a dead zone to a very responsive(for a jeep) steering.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Went from a sloppy steering wheel with a dead zone to a very responsive(for a jeep) steering.
The set screw on the top of the gearbox is what allows the adjustment of how tight your steering is. The gear attached to that set screw is tapered. Being tightened down pulls the thicker end of the tapered gear down on the other gear inside the gearbox, making your steering tighter.

Thanks solman...nice write up.does anyone know about what they go for at a junk yard...price...
I got mine for $25 off of an XJ at a junk yard. And if your TJ is lifted, the pitman arm on an XJ is the same length, but it has approximately 2 1/2 inches of drop compared to the stock TJ pitman arm. You won't get charged for the pitman arm if you leave it on the gearbox, plus it will correct your steering angles if you are lifted 3-6 inches. :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts