Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its a really simple job. There's 3 bolts on the right of the box that connect it to the frame. 1 bolt that connects it to the steering shaft. There's 2 hoses that are bolted in to the top of the box, and the 1 bolt that connects the pitman arm to the box, 32mm on mine (a real pain in the ass to get off, I needed to use a torth). Then you'll need a pitman arm puller to yank the pitman arm off the box. Just remove all those, and put the new box in and put all the bolts back on. Just don't turn the steering wheel while you have the pitman arm disconnected or you'll ruin your clockspring.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
"Just don't turn the steering wheel while you have the pitman arm disconnected or you'll ruin your clockspring."

Seriously? I am asking 'cause IDK any better and like to learn....how would it hurt/ damage the clockspring?

·
Registered
455 Posts
the clock spring will only wind/unwind so far

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ChrisJeepTJ said:
I just did this job today. I'm pretty sure the pitman only can go on one way because there are some flat spots that have to line up to the steering box.
So there is a keyway on the shaft and pitman arm?

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can only install the pitman arm in one spot. I would take the key out of the ignition while working so the steering wheel locks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts