Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, 2014 JKU, I feel and hear a steering column rattle on rough roads. Not sure if it's just the airbag unit rattling or the whole steering column. Any similar experiences, fixes? Thank you all!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Similar experience here also on a 2012 JKU with 38k miles
. Trying to determine if it's the upper intermediate steering shaft or the harness/ring that broke loose holding the airbag down. It's driving me nuts! Another glitch from Chrysler.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Just an idea, have you guys checked the bushing on the shaft going into the firewall ?
There are threads here about this if you can find em...
The bushing is plastic ( I think ) and it can sometimes slip down out of place ...
Not sure but I think "Kjeeper10" posted some of them... Might search his posts.
"BH"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just an idea, have you guys checked the bushing on the shaft going into the firewall ?
There are threads here about this if you can find em...
The bushing is plastic ( I think ) and it can sometimes slip down out of place ...
Not sure but I think "Kjeeper10" posted some of them... Might search his posts.
"BH"
Thanks, BH!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Checked the steering shaft, above intermediate, that goes into the fire with the black plastic sleeve. Everything is tight/solid as a glove. The rattling I hear from the steering column, just guaranty you that it's the airbag with a loose bracket that needs to be replaced...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the steering shaft, above intermediate, that goes into the fire with the black plastic sleeve. Everything is tight/solid as a glove. The rattling I hear from the steering column, just guaranty you that it's the airbag with a loose bracket that needs to be replaced...
Hey JCT, I ended up tightening the two bolts that secure the airbag/horn hub in place and cured the rattle. One on each side of the steering wheel base. You might want to pull the hub out while you're at it and give it a shake to see if anything's loose inside it. Although now I get an occasional deeper rattle on much harsher surfaces, but I think thats inherent of the nature of our beasts. And it's one I can live with.

Speaking of tightening up, over time I've found quite a few loose screws and bolts all around. So it's a habit of mine now, I check anything I can reach...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey JCT, I ended up tightening the two bolts that secure the airbag/horn hub in place and cured the rattle. One on each side of the steering wheel base. You might want to pull the hub out while you're at it and give it a shake to see if anything's loose inside it. Although now I get an occasional deeper rattle on much harsher surfaces, but I think thats inherent of the nature of our beasts. And it's one I can live with. Speaking of tightening up, over time I've found quite a few loose screws and bolts all around. So it's a habit of mine now, I check anything I can reach...

My 2012 had the exact same item. Though mine was the day after I bought it. Swung by the dealer at lunch and they fixed it

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Just a word of warning, disconnect your battery before messing with your airbag. Unless you love playing with hand grenades. Them going off is far between but it does happen, Remember safety third!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Try resting your foot on the side of the brake pedal.

I thought for sure something was loose in my column or front end. Only happens on rough dirt roads. It's annoying as hell.

I finally figured out it was the brake pedal rattling. Still haven't put any effort into figuring out the fix.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Try resting your foot on the side of the brake pedal.

I thought for sure something was loose in my column or front end. Only happens on rough dirt roads. It's annoying as hell.

I finally figured out it was the brake pedal rattling. Still haven't put any effort into figuring out the fix.
Only took me three years and two Jeeps to just figure that out last weekend. I swore it was the column but lifted up on the brake pedal and it went away.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try resting your foot on the side of the brake pedal. I thought for sure something was loose in my column or front end. Only happens on rough dirt roads. It's annoying as hell. I finally figured out it was the brake pedal rattling. Still haven't put any effort into figuring out the fix.
TY! Makes perfect sense!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey JCT, I ended up tightening the two bolts that secure the airbag/horn hub in place and cured the rattle. One on each side of the steering wheel base. You might want to pull the hub out while you're at it and give it a shake to see if anything's loose inside it. Although now I get an occasional deeper rattle on much harsher surfaces, but I think thats inherent of the nature of our beasts. And it's one I can live with.

Speaking of tightening up, over time I've found quite a few loose screws and bolts all around. So it's a habit of mine now, I check anything I can reach...
Thanks, NK. Sorry, no dice. Tried tightening the two bolts even more and still no dice...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Only took me three years and two Jeeps to just figure that out last weekend. I swore it was the column but lifted up on the brake pedal and it went away.
How did you fix this? I have the same problem. Please elaborate on "lifted up on the brake pedal and it went away"

Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
How did you fix this? I have the same problem. Please elaborate on "lifted up on the brake pedal and it went away"

Thanks
Sorry for the late response.

I never fixed it. As for lifting up on the pedal, I would just slip my left foot under the back of the pedal and pull up on it. Confirmed it was the brake pedal.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I too have this brake pedal noise over harsh bumps and cannot figure out how to fix it, other then with me left foot. It appears there is some side to side movement where the brake pedal arm? meets under the steering wheel.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i have the brake pedal rattler too, also the steering shaft does chatter as well so i just ordered the clamp and springs to help that issue out, now just need a fix for the brake pedal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts