Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, this is my first actual post here so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I need some insight as to whether or not my buddy's steering column will fit in my Jeep, or what column I can buy to replace the one in mine. Had a mechanic come out to verify if it really needed replacing, and sadly, it does.

Mine is a 93 yj and his is a 72 cj, both have manual transmissions, and he's just got it sitting out in the yard. If I can save money by swapping the columns that'd be great, but I can't figure out whether his would fit or not.

Help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
EDIT: it is a cj5, not cj. Help would be much appreciated. I need to move it as soon as it's fixed

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
The CJ's use a floor mounted headlight dimmer and the YJ uses a dimmer on the column. I dont even know if the steering shaft will work with a CJ column even if you rewired the dimmer on the floor.

It's not a very good idea to even try it it will create more problems than it fixes.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
These old YJ use the same type as GM's of the late 70's and early 80', I think one from a gm car or truck will fit, but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
The CJ's use a floor mounted headlight dimmer and the YJ uses a dimmer on the column. I dont even know if the steering shaft will work with a CJ column even if you rewired the dimmer on the floor.

It's not a very good idea to even try it it will create more problems than it fixes.

Now that i think about it i think CJ steering columns have a splined shaft and the YJ does not so the steering shaft is probably not going to be compatible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts