Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my stock 2010 Rubicon steering damper with a new one. I have a 2 1/2" spacer lift. Would the Bilstein 24-158428 Monotube Steering Damper, Front 36mm be a good choice?

Thanks!
Keep on Jeepin!

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Is there a reason why you are replacing it? Has your stock SS failed?
Unless your stocker has failed or you simply want something prettier I would not replace it.
That Bilstein should fit, but it is not one I would go with.

·
Registered
391 Posts
That's the one I installed on my 2010. I'm running a 2.5" AEV Lift currently with 33s. I've not had any issues with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm replacing it due to wear and tear and excessive vibration. What do you suggest?

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
I'm replacing it due to wear and tear and excessive vibration. What do you suggest?
I don't know what "wear and tear" means. It is either bad or it is still good. If it is still good there is no reason to replace it, unless you just wants something more blingy.
I like the OME SS with the relocation bracket. But we off road and relocating the SS a little higher helps keep it out of the rocks.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16091_2016_07.htm
Rancho has a similar relocation kit, as does MetalCloak. Near as I can tell the MetalCloak and OME options are the same only the bracket and the color is different. All three of these options are low pressure (which is good) and include a cover over the shaft (also good). But the reality of the SS is most any low cost option will work fine, just pick the one that is the color you like with the options (cover over the shaft, relocation bracket, whatever) you want.
I don't like that the Bilstein SS doesn't show a cover over the shaft. The way we use our Jeep that would not last. But that may not matter to you. The SS is not a critical part on your Jeep, and aside from the fact that a high pressure SS can cause a push / pull to one side it really isn't something to stress about.
I replaced ours only because I bought an AEV High Steer kit and it included a replacement SS. The AEV replacement is basically the OME SS in black, and it is relocated higher to stay out of the rocks. But if the kit had not included one I would still have the stocker on there. Because unless the stock SS gets damaged or otherwise fails there really is no reason to replace it. Unless there is something physically wrong with the stock SS replacing the SS will not "fix" anything. And if you have a vibration or something else going on you should fix that, not replace the SS. A new SS might cover up a vibration, for a while. But it will not fix it.

·
Premium Member
7,347 Posts
I don't know what "wear and tear" means. It is either bad or it is still good. If it is still good there is no reason to replace it, unless you just wants something more blingy.
I like the OME SS with the relocation bracket. But we off road and relocating the SS a little higher helps keep it out of the rocks.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16091_2016_07.htm
Rancho has a similar relocation kit, as does MetalCloak. Near as I can tell the MetalCloak and OME options are the same only the bracket and the color is different. All three of these options are low pressure (which is good) and include a cover over the shaft (also good). But the reality of the SS is most any low cost option will work fine, just pick the one that is the color you like with the options (cover over the shaft, relocation bracket, whatever) you want.
I don't like that the Bilstein SS doesn't show a cover over the shaft. The way we use our Jeep that would not last. But that may not matter to you. The SS is not a critical part on your Jeep, and aside from the fact that a high pressure SS can cause a push / pull to one side it really isn't something to stress about.
I replaced ours only because I bought an AEV High Steer kit and it included a replacement SS. The AEV replacement is basically the OME SS in black, and it is relocated higher to stay out of the rocks. But if the kit had not included one I would still have the stocker on there. Because unless the stock SS gets damaged or otherwise fails there really is no reason to replace it. Unless there is something physically wrong with the stock SS replacing the SS will not "fix" anything. And if you have a vibration or something else going on you should fix that, not replace the SS. A new SS might cover up a vibration, for a while. But it will not fix it.
What he said. The SS is design to slow down large movements like when hitting a rock, a pot hole and even you trying to turn the wheel to fast. But it does nothing when it comes to small movements and will not fix any type of vibration you have in the system. You need to find the root cause of that issue and address it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts