Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting the death shakes recently when I go over bumps on the road. I never had a problem until about a month ago and it seems to be happening more. I have 33.5" ish tires with the Tera Flex 2" leveling kit on my 14 JKU. I was thinking about changing/upgrading the steering stabilizer. Has anyone experienced this and could you recommend a good stabilizer under $100?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've been getting the death shakes recently when I go over bumps on the road. I never had a problem until about a month ago and it seems to be happening more. I have 33.5" ish tires with the Tera Flex 2" leveling kit on my 14 JKU. I was thinking about changing/upgrading the steering stabilizer. Has anyone experienced this and could you recommend a good stabilizer under $100?
Its important for us to understand exactly what is going on in order to give the best advice. A steering stabilizer wont cure what is commonly called "death wobble", it will only mask it.

So first, when does it happen? how do you get it to stop? Is there a constant rythmic wobble or is it an aggressive wobble that only happens when you hit a bump.

If it is true death wobble, and its aggressive and terrifying and the only way to stop it is to slow down to a stop or close to a stop (10mph), then you need to carefully inspect your steering components. The track bar is typically the number one issue with DW. You should pull each side of the track bar and check the mounting holes and make sure they are not wallowed out. The mounting bolts should also be torqued properly to 125ft/lbs.

Thats where i would start.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
As an addendun to “Cummins Powered” s comment, you might also have a friend/ girlfriend / wife sit in the JEEP and move the steering wheel back and forth in short, quick strokes while you are under the JEEP looking at all steering components and connections....tie rod ends, track bar bushings, pitman arm, drag link, steering box, etc. EVERYTHING....for any excess play or movement.
Also this is a good way to learn how everything works together to give you a better understanding of the steering system.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
^^

To add- A large pair of channel locks that will form a 'C' around the tie-rod ball ends (TRE) and the drag link TRE's. When squeezing with the channel lock pliers, there should be no up-down movement compression - if there is, it's wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts