Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after figuring out my bumpsteer/flighty steering wheel problem I've come across a new problem. Jeeps alignment is great, but after a left turn the wheel stays cocked left while going straight but steering wheel sits mostly straight after a right hand turn. What could be causing this issue? I've straightened the wheel a couple of times and this is the end result each time

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the tire cocked left and not returning straight or is the steering wheel cocked left while the tire is going straight?
Sorry, tires stay straight either way, it's the steering wheel that stays left after a left hand turn and straightens out after a right hand turn

·
Registered
179 Posts
So does it feel like theres a dead space in the steering wheel to the left?

Do you feel any turning in the wheel on acceleration or slowing down?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So does it feel like theres a dead space in the steering wheel to the left?

Do you feel any turning in the wheel on acceleration or slowing down?
It does feel like there's some dead space or play, slight turning under acceleration, haven't noticed any when braking

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok. this is going to be a trail and error fix.

Check to make sure your axel is centered,
Check to make sure your Draglink and trackbar are parallel
Check all the ball joints, ( tie rod, draglink,)
Check the pitman Arm

and for shits and giggles disconnect the steering dampener drive it around cautiously and see if you get the same thing.

Did you have a violent death wobble episode or been using front locker alot?

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
It sounds like one of your connections, one of your joints, in the steering linkage has play. Possibly an ovaled hole or some such. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the linkage. There is likely something that is shifting one way and then the other.

Even something seemingly unrelated, like play or movement at the track bar mounting points can cause this. If your axle is allowed to move side to side, that shifts the steering the same as if the steering moved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like one of your connections, one of your joints, in the steering linkage has play. Possibly an ovaled hole or some such. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the linkage. There is likely something that is shifting one way and then the other.

Even something seemingly unrelated, like play or movement at the track bar mounting points can cause this. If your axle is allowed to move side to side, that shifts the steering the same as if the steering moved.
I really hope nothing is ovaled, the jeep only has 30000km on it and it's never been beat on. Possibility that my track bar mount on the new axle is ovaled or beat since the new axles came off an 07 that had been wheeled extensively. I'll have someone turn the wheel while I'm underneath and look for anything unusual (track bar movement, drag link play stuff like that) and see what I can come up with

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it seems my track bar bracket on the axle or the bushing on the end of the track bar has some movement. When turning full right it seems to be fine but when turning back full left it "pops" and moves about a quarter inch or so. I think I'll pop that bolt and check the bushing for any wear or damage, might look at sleeving the mount hole or replacing the bushing. Hopefully one of those fixes this issue

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would check the threads on your drag link. Track bar wont cause that. Sounds like if you have everything torqued properly that your threads are slipping.

-JP
Track bar was most definitely the issue. Changed out the bolt and sleeved the hole, no more clunking and steering wheel stays straight (ish, probably needs an alignment) after right and left turns. Now to get the wheel speed sensor problem fixed lol

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
I would check the threads on your drag link. Track bar wont cause that. Sounds like if you have everything torqued properly that your threads are slipping.

-JP
With all due respect, if the track bar allows the axle to shift side to side it will cause the steering to shift as it is stationary with the frame. So, as the axle moves one way or the other it changes the steering to one side of the other, as steering linkage works in relation to the axle. If the axle moves, the steering linkages effect on the wheels changes.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

-JP
Indeed it will and it's a common problem on older previous model Jeeps with suspension modifications too. Mostly when the lower track bar hole gets ovaled out and lets the bolt move.

Ever notice how when you have to make a track bar length change due to a change in height, etc., the drag link follows it and also needs adjusting? Same idea. On this scenario, the track bar is effectively changing its "length" based on where that lower junction decides to sit at one moment vs. the next. That will constantly F with your steering center/steer ahead. Which is adjusted with the drag link. This happens since the axle is actually changing its position from one side to the other side as the ovaled hole lets it slide back and forth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts