Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my steering has been wobbly at best. Going down a hill and around a corner puckers my butt and turns me white as a sheet. I crawled under the jeep last night and noticed my sway bar easily shifts from side to side with minimal effort when the front is lifted off the ground. This doesn't seem normal to me. I assume i'll have to replace the bar bushings and the linkages on either side to tighten that up. Can i just replace the bushings and if so, what would you recommend? Rubber or poly? Or should i just go with new linkages and some bushings?

Also, the steering box seems to be tight, but all the tie rod ends and joints seem to be on their last breath. Are there any brands better than another? I understand i'll have to get an alignment after all these are replaced.

Thoughts and input welcome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
You'll probably get all kinds of opinions on which is best, stock rubber or poly bushings.
My two cents are on the OE rubber.
The sway bar links will probably come as a kit with long bolts, nuts and washers.

As far as tie rod ends, Moog is (I think) the supplier for OE. You can't go wrong with Moog....tie rod ends aren't a place where you want to cheap out.

Of course, you are well advised to get a professional alignment once the new parts are installed.

Hopefully you go back to your original color once you are done being scared.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Moog... Don't even bother with other "house" brands. I'm on my third Duralast tie rod. It was a matter of parts availability and needing the jeep...

For the sway bar links, I'd recommend buying disconnects. Most will be poly bushings. My bushing preference varies on the part. I'd prefer poly for sway bars, as the shock/vibration transfer through a sway bar is not very high. Poly lasts longer, rubber is softer and more comfortable.

Make sure you find all of the bad parts under there. Get a floor jack, a large pry bar, and a buddy. Have someone shake everything down while you look around.

https://youtu.be/vklqWiT4vmQ

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Any suggestions on where to get Moog at the best price?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
How much can you save by buying a $25.00 part online rather than at your local auto parts store?

If you support your local businesses, they will be there when you "absolutely, positively" need the part today so that you can get to work tomorrow.

Take the old part in to the store with you so that you can insure that you get the correct part. Some tie rod ends are left hand thread.

On a YJ, the passenger side tie rod is a complete tie rod end and tie rod assembly. On the Quadratec website the prices range from $65.00 to a little under $100.00, but the parts aren't Moog.

For a part where the savings could be substantial, You may want to consider a reliable online supplier.
For the long tie rod, check with your local auto parts store for a price and ask for a discount. When you order online and pick up in store, NAPA gives a 10% discount. Perhaps other brick and mortar stores with websites do the same thing. Ask about a guarantee.
Then check the online stores for prices for Moog. Amazon or Ebay should have listings and you'll get an idea of your cost. Don't forget to calculate shipping into your final cost.

MudMagnetYJ offers good advice when he suggests checking everything else while you are working on the current issue.
If there are issues that you don't find, the alignment shop should find them. If there are other suspension/steering repairs that your Jeep needs, the alignment shop should provide a detailed estimate. Then you can take the estimate and buy your parts and install them yourself if you feel confident in doing so. Then take the jeep back to the alignment shop to complete the alignment.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Rock auto or Amazon. I usually buy at a local auto parts store because I get a discount through work.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I ordered all of my MOOG parts from Rockauto after giving the manager at O'Riellys a shot at price matching. Saved 180 at Rockauto.
I'm using poly on the sway bar and QD links.

Ck the drag-link to make sure you can adjust it. If not, order the replacement tube and clamps. When I did mine, I replaced it all at one time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check out advanced auto online. They always have 20%-30% online coupons, you order your parts online, then go pick them up at the store. I've noticed with the coupon codes that it's almost the same price as rock.

On top of the "online" codes, if your a speed perk member you can save more! I do this all the time.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Thanks guys! Any suggestions on where to get Moog at the best price?

I got my MOOG passengers side outer tie rod end from Amazon for $70 (from brick and mortar it was $170) it was the cheapest i could find it, i think i used a amazon 15% off MOOG coupon on it. The other 3 were slightly cheaper on ebay but i ordered all of it from Amazon including the adjusters and saved a heap of cash.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Big fan of Rockauto.com. If you don't need it right now it can save you a ton of money. They usually have 2 or 3 options for each part, economy, daily driver, and performance. I try to stay with DD or Performance.

Needed struts for wifes car and Oriely's cost were 124.00 each, my brothers (who's an asst mgr for an Oriely's) cost was 84.00 each, Rockauto was 64.00 each for the same part. Amazon is great for parts also.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
They usually have 2 or 3 options for each part, economy, daily driver, and performance. I try to stay with DD or Performance.
Good advice but keep in mind that I've found Spicer u joints and ball joints in the economy section. Their categories aren't always correct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts