Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's I have an 07 unlimited Sahara, and recently I have been hearing what sounds like a swoosh/ or air being released when I turn in park to the right ; (best way I can explain) and the steering wheel turns hard to the right also , but smooth to the left with the jeep running in park. I don't notice much difference while turning at speed, I have power steering fluid... Not being familiar enough with steering and suspension components I'm not sure where to start. With a friend turning the wheel left/right I followed the sound which seems to lead to the steering gear box.

I gues I can have a shop look at it and try to sell me on something? Just wanted to see if anyone can recommend anything, New boxes are running around $500 o'reilly auto parts whould be $370 after $130 core charge. Id rather have a company rebuild it, if it is in fact my problem.

Guess what I'm trying to ask is
1. How can I diagnose the problem best?
2. If it is the box do you know a reputable place to mail in for a rebuild?
3. Is their anything else should do/change while reinstalling my rebuild box?
I hope this makes sense I have been picking up crazy OT at work and am dead dog tired. Take it easy guys and thanks in advance!! Dray-jk:wavey:

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Your first initial bleeding of steering pump should be without engine running!Lock to lock at least 30 times. This will allow fluid to start lubricating pump after so you can start an continue rotating until all air has been purged from system! Oh yea forgot to mention like Jerry said... Have tires lifted of ground when doing the bleeding!

And

Do NOT (!!) start the engine for the initial bleeding!! Doing so will cause cavitation inside the power steering pump and damage the pump vanes. Jack up the front-end so the weight is off the front tires and without the engine running, turn the steering wheel back and forth (lock to lock) at least 25-30 times. Once that is completed and you have topped off the power steering fluid reservoir, then you can start the engine and drive it. Stop after a short while and check the fluid level and add more fluid if needed and you're done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ill start their, I just thought that if the the psp went bad it would turn harder in both directions, il let ya know how it goes! Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone cares I took on the jeep for a tire balance and had them diagnose the issue and they failed, when they checked the alignment I was told the camber was way off and they could not mess with it because of the lift and to take to a shop that installs lifts. Will see what's up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts